Pumping help

SpringCrane

Reaction score
I have a few day-long or weekend-long events coming up in the coming months, so I've been trying to start a supply stash. I never pumped with my first (other than a few attempts with a manual pump), so this is new to me. I have a double electric Purely Yours Ameda pump my insurance provided. I had been planning to pump once each morning. It hasn't really been successful. Most mornings I'm getting only an ounce total and even that takes forever. The flange seems to be the right size from what the manual says. I've adjusted speed and suction. My infant is literally peacefully sleeping in my lap while pumping, so I try staring at him to encourage a letdown effect, but nada.

I'm finding it really frustrating. Any advice? I really need encouragement to keep from just using formula instead of trying to pump. Nothing wrong with formula, but I know even a single introduction changes an infant's gut bacteria, and if I can just figure out pumping then that's what I should do.

Help!

Commenting to follow, I have the same issue. My baby feeds really well (went from the 25 percentile at her two week to the 45 at her 8week checkup), but pumping just doesn't produce much for me either.

How are you getting on Mac1979? I've been pumping on one side while nursing on the other and things are a bit better... getting 3 oz usually, and much more quickly. But it does seem to be primarily the letdown and the pump doesn't extract much after that. I'm concerned for how it'll be when I'm away from baby and needing to pump.

how old is your lo? How often do they feed? My lo had a lip tie and tongue tie so I had to bottle feed her until they could get her in to snip the tongue tie. I pump every 2.5 hours and now get between 4-5+ ounces. I would also try pumping after nursing to see if that helps.

Try to pump after every feed, even if only for a short time. Will encourage your supply to build so you can store some. I've also found that pumping during the night gets the most. I'm quite large (36J) so have yo hold the underneath of my boob while feeding and pumping otherwise I get nothing out. X

Are you letting the pump do all the work? It makes a huge difference for me if I use "hands on pumping" techniques (you can google for tips, but this is the best place to start https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html). You'll have to put baby down, but you'll likely get a ton more milk. And then your body will make more to keep up!

I have never used electric pumps but I prefer to use manual breast pumps which are easy and safe to use. Here, there is no requirement for batteries or an electrical plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->