Pumping more milk from one side??

RC86

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this as my baby is only 5 days old but because she has a really bad tongue tie we struggle to feed naturally. The only way I can really give her the breast milk is to express it.

I have an electric pump which works but a couple questions got anyone who might know...

My left breast produces a lot more milk then my right? Is that normal??

Yesterday I got 50mls out of them but today it's dropped to 35-40mls :( am I already loosing my milk supply before it's even really kicked in?

Really stressing about this so any info would be great!

It's perfectly normal to produce more from one side than the other or have a stronger letdown on a particular side. My daughter quickly grew to prefer my right side so strongly she soon refused to nurse from my left around 4 mths of age, leaving me extremely lopsided but at 16 months, she is still nursing. Yep, I'm completely lopsided still but as long as she's still getting breastmilk, I figure it's ok :winkwink:

I would only pump from the left side for a long time to attempt to even things out but after I got a freezer stash built up for a hospital stay, I soon stopped pumping all together. Some days I could get out 5oz from one side, some days only 3oz depending on what I ate, how much I drank, or how I felt.

I found it was easier to zone out when pumping, kinda going on autopilot and stare at the TV, relax. Before you know it, you'll glance down and you'll have a bottle full. Other times I found I had to stop to massage my boob, starting from the top and working my way down toward the nipple, attempting to massage and move the milk down. Sometimes gently compressing while pumping worked or "relatching" the pump to focus on a different section to get milk out. I also found the more I used the pump, the better I responded. You know what they say, practice makes perfect :winkwink:

I continue to take my prenatal vitamin, omega 3 pill, drink lots of water and eat oatmeal every morning with a dab of cinnamon (yum :D ) Try not to stress and worry, that itself will mess with your supply.

Good luck :flower:

Thanks :) this morning I'm getting loads more so my day stressing yesterday was pointless! Maybe it just takes time to build up your supply like I say she's only 6 days old. She won't latch on properly do its all pumping until we get her tongue tie sorted! Which will hopefully help her latch on better!!

Fingers crossed as long as she's getting the goodness then that's all that matters even if I do feel like a cow haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->