Pumpkins

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi I wanted too make some pumpkin soup and I have just realised I have bought a carving pumpkin. Are these ok too cook and eat? Thanks x

I made pumpkin pie and pumpkin cake out of my carving pumpkins. Taste fine and I'm still alive! ;)

Yes I think they just call them carving pumpkins in October lol - same ones you get the rest of Autumn.

The only difference is that carving pumpkins have less flesh inside. They've been selectively bred (not sure if that's the right term or not lol) that way so that they are easier to carve. With culinary pumpkins you could make the same amount of soup/pie filling etc with a much smaller pumpkin as the flesh is thicker inside.

How do you seperate the seeds from the flesh? I wanted to make soup but there was loads of seeds in mines :/

if you dont want the flesh you can put it all in a sieve & using water clean it all off.

if you want the flesh you will have to pick them out.. xx

The only difference is that carving pumpkins have less flesh inside. They've been selectively bred (not sure if that's the right term or not lol) that way so that they are easier to carve. With culinary pumpkins you could make the same amount of soup/pie filling etc with a much smaller pumpkin as the flesh is thicker inside.

This. Carving pumpkins are basically hollow compared to edible pumpkins which are smaller but have much more flesh inside. I've never eaten a carving pumpkin but they tend to smell pretty foul inside so I've never really been tempted!
As long as the flesh is soft though I guess it'd be fine.

Ok...So what do you do to make pumpkin soup? Really interested xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->