Puppies

goldlion

Mommy
Reaction score
Hey ladies, I was just wondering... how soon after baby is born do you think it's okay to get a puppy. DH is dying for one, but I'm hesitant. I don't want to get one NOW because the baby is due soon and I don't want to have to train and whatnot right now. How old should our LO be before we splurge and get a pup?

Hmm, thats a hard one to answer. I would wait awhile, we didn't get a puppy until Drake was around 2 and it was already a full grown dog that was already house trained. Before getting her we had a puppy but ended up selling her because it was way too much for me. Training and dealing with the terrible twos was awful. I thought I was going nuts lol.
We ended up selling the dog we got after the puppy a few months ago because I knew I wouldn't be able to deal with a newborn, 4 year old and a dog who was hyper (she was a chihuahua/minpin, so full of energy). I've decided to stick to my kitties until my kids are 4+ years. Then we might get a dog then. But everyone is different, if you think you can cope with a baby and puppy then go for it. Or you could do what I did, and get an older dog thats already been trained etc.

Wait untill you have LO chances are your OH wont want a puppy aswell once LO is here lol!

xx

A puppy is a LOT of work!

It's probably in your best interest to wait until you have real time to help it grow up and become a family dog that you can be proud of. Puppies are similar to babies in a lot of ways, they need to be put out every couple of hours, after every time they eat, every time they wake up and after every time that you play with them. They need to be walked (exercise), and socialized. I know people will say that there are other ways to raise puppies and that it's really not that hard, I agree to a certain extent, however these are basic guidelines that will most often end up with you having a family dog that you are proud of.

Another important thing to note, it's important that the dogs personality fit your lifestyle. Dependant on things like how active you are, where you live (no sense getting a border collie when you are living in an apartment, you will end up with a neurotic dog, unless you have hours to exercise it a ,and surely your house guests will wonder why they are being herded... it's what the dog is meant to do) That is just one example I know, but again that said, choosing a dog that fits your family is SO important.

That all said. I will admit that I ended up getting a puppy about 4 days before we found out we were expecting and lord did I ever question myself about that one! I was fortunate that my OH took over EVERYTHING to do with the puppy, feeding, socializing, potty training, walking, while I was dealing with being sick all the time. At this point my pup is just 3 months old and I have been VERY lucky (have also done some dog training before) and he is 99% potty trained, has a reliable recall (come), sits and lays on command as well as does his job as a retriever very well (was purchased as a bird dog). He is no where near done tho and I still fourtunately have another six months to dedicate to him and his growth. My fingers are crossed. I could not imagine having to deal with all of this while having a baby here too. Again it can be done, but it will take a LOT of planning and thought.

This all is probably way more than anyone wants to know but, I know that a lot of people always say that "I want my baby and puppy to grow up together" I just really want people to think it through. Puppies grow into dogs and if they don't receive proper attention growing up you could end up with a dog you aren't so proud of.

I agree with sweetie, a puppy needs a lot of training and interaction etc, not to mention clearing up poop and wee, and naughty chewing! Can be tiring without a baby to look after as well!

Puppies are a handful - You got handful with your spraying cat believe me puppy wee is NOT nice then you have the puppy CHEWING and it will ...babies stuff?

I really wouldn't but thats my personal opinion hun x

I certainly wouldn't be looking in the too near future - they are very playful and need so much attention, it really wouldn't be fare with a new baby! But that's me :) x

It all depends on how well you could cope, cos effectively it would be like having 2 babies.

We got sasha when nicole was 18 months and its really nice cos they are like best friends and sasha is really protective of nicole.

Remember tho that puppies have a tendency to snap and boy are those teeth sharp!!!

oh, I most definitely don't want one now! I think I'd lose my mind trying to train a pup and care for my LO.

so maybe it's safest to get one when the LO is around 2 years-ish?

Personally, I think 2 will be a great age - baby would enjoy having a puppy as much as Mum & Dad! x

Honestly (I used to work in a pet store..but I learned and quit), I always suggested people getting puppies BEFORE the baby was born when they came to me with this question. Get them housetrained and used to you and the house before bubs arrives and they'll be around the same-ish age to grow up together and learn from eachother.

I know when i got my pup, the first 6 months were rough!! I remember the first 2 or 3 months with my little pup, i would get up at 3AM because he would whine to go out to the bathroom :dohh:

I would definitely wait until you have your little one, since she is almost due, and get into a comfortable routine. When you and OH feel comfortable enough to handle watching and taking care of a pup as well as your baby, i would say that's a good time! I think it's wonderful for a child to grow up with a pet, it's a great way to teach your little one how to be gentle with animals and great pets make a lovely and loyal companion for life!

Its your choice but I wouldn't get one myself too soon as puppies need alot of love and attention which can be hard with a baby around

I'd actually advise waiting until the LO is about two or so and then getting an adult dog. There are a huge amount of dogs in rescue through no fault of their own and it would come to you ready housetrained etc. Plus, if you get it from a good rescue, you will know what it's personality will be like and you will get a lot of support from the rescue if you do have any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->