Putting socks on alone..

amytrisha

Mother of boys.
Reaction score
DS is 4 and is starting school in September but still struggles majorly to get his own socks on!

I’ve made a bit of a rod for my own back as I never really considered him learning to dress himself (he’s my first child) and he’s never bothered to try. I’ve always just done it for him, recently I realised he needed to start doing it himself for the likes of PE and he can get everything on perfectly fine just not his socks!!
How on earth do you teach someone to put socks on! He tries using just one hand and to be honest it’s driving me a little bit crazy he just keeps saying ‘teach me!’ But my god I am trying!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you! Xx

Practice makes perfect! Every day just let him try, just like he had to do with everything else and he will get it. Don't think about school which is months away. My daughter is fine with socks, dresses and almost everything else. Ask her to put on a pair of pants and my God she's on the floor upside down, and in a right state every time. I just have to let show her, and let her do it and she will get it on her own eventually.

Model it step by step. Physically assist. Remind him to use two hands. And patience. Let him struggle with it. Try telling him to get his socks on and then distract yourself with something else so he can try without the pressure of being hovered over and to keep yourself from the temptation to jump in or him from the temptation of asking for help.

My son is exactly the same, refuses point blank to even try with his socks. He tells me "when I go to lucas' (brothers) school I will do it but I don't have to now!" going to leave him as its very set in his mind, he will learn eventually

I don't know how mine learnt but I'd suggest showing him how with one foot then letting him try with the other. :)

I show him on my own foot, and also on his but it’s like he loses patience to even watch lol.
He can get his foot into the first part but then can’t pull it over his heel and he literally freaks out!
Keep trying to teach him to like roll it up with his fingers and then place it over his toes because when I do that for him he has no trouble doing the rest but he doesn’t get how to bunch it up.

Amazing the things we take for granted being able to do :lol:

Thank you all for your tips, will be patient and keep trying of course! :)

I'm right there with you! My oldest is starting school in the fall (will be 4) an he hardly knows how to dress himself. I know it's mostly because I have babied him, but he also seems to have some fine motor skills issues, which are somewhat common in boys. I think what a lot of the pp's have said about making it really low-pressure is a good idea. Get him his clothes, tell him to put them on, and go busy yourself with something else. I'm going to be trying that a lot in the next few months.

They can be a little bit fiddly to get on! Maybe try a bigger size socks for him to practice with? Might make it a little easier to learn with!

Im glad I’m not the only one! I do just lay out his clothes then make myself busy, seems to make it easier for him but he can still get super worked up. Guess it’s all part of learning though, I’m chuffed with his progress on underpants/tshirt/pants/jumpers do not too worried there! Just the socks now :lol:

They can be a little bit fiddly to get on! Maybe try a bigger size socks for him to practice with? Might make it a little easier to learn with!

Somebody else suggested this! Do you think bigger socks are a good idea then? I will have to try this thank you :)

My son finds it a little easier with his newer socks that are a little bigger! The ones hes just about growing out of he always gets it stuck on random toes!

Fins fit, but are fitted if that makes sense? Like they seem long as opposed to wide. I think I need some a bit thinner material so easier to stretch x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->