Quentin Antony William - Born 7/11/2009

littlestar

Proud Mum to a Little Boy
Reaction score
Little historic note:
for those of you who haven't followed my story so far, i found out i was pg on 3/3/09 my LMP was 30/12/08 so when my dates were set i wasn't 100% sure they were right. i was always aware they could be 7-10 days out on their dates and with my thyroid issue being diagnosed in early pregnancy it may have affected initial growth - no worries though as he's 100% perfect!

Birth Story:
(times are approx. i don't wear a watch, but close enough to get the idea)

Quentin Anthony William Reynolds was born on 7/11/09 @ 8.55am at 38W+6d by hospital dates.
Edit (forgot to add weight :dohh:) we was 7lb10.5oz

it was 12.30am Saturday morning, and i had the feeling i really needed a no.2. having suffered with IBS for a number of years it wasn't unusual for me to get these sudden painful urges and with attached sweats and pain totally believing i had a bad case of constipation.

1.10am the pains were becoming more frequent, at this point i thought i would get myself hooked up to my tens machine and try and sleep through the constipation, about 30mins later or trying to settle back to sleep i decided it must be labour as my tummy was tightening with the pain and it was getting more frequent so i got up and started pacing, and hip wiggling, swaying to help pass the pain (tens machine still on and increasing the settings gradually)

3am - pains started to make me wince loud enough to wake hubby, he took a little time to realise what was happening by 3.30am we had called the hospital and made them aware that we thought we were in labour, they said to come down if i needed pain relief but to see as much as i could out at home, so 30 mins later we arrived at hospital.

4.40am - been admitted, in a 1st stage labour room with a toilet, went to loo (then mw decided to ask me for a sample :dohh:) so had a drink and tried to go again - a few mins later she re-entered the room suggesting i had a uti, at this point i was thinking if this is the pain i get from a uti - GOD help me in labour! :wacko:

a few mins later i began to involuntarily leak, hubby told the mw we thought my waters had gone, mw couldn't then examine me the way she had wanted to due to risk of infection so said to me, we'll have to wait 30 mins or so if it is waters i will need a spectrulm (smear thingy) to examine you.

during that 30 mins i was getting contractions closer together, and was almost climbing the walls, i asked hubby to ask the mw if i was allowed G&A and she said she needed to examine me first. needless to say both me and the midwife were really shocked to discover i was 8cm dilated. the G&A arrived promptly after that discovery - totally helped! G&A + Tens was a good combo at this point.

i was strapped to a monitor for about 15 mins before being moved as what i though were my waters, MW though could have been my plug or mec from the baby she wanted to check baby wasn't in distress, a few mins later i was semi dressed (i stripped naked for the examination - i didn't care though they did put a sheet over me) and sheet wrapped round my lower half we walked across the corridor into a delivery room and i was hooked up to the monitors again. (so much for an active labour)

shift change - got a lovely new midwife who was with me the rest of the labour.

at this point i was very much in my own little world of mega boost Tens and G&A, hubby was really supportive and kept me topped up with water and was really encouraging. even if i wanted extra pain relief it was far too late!

before i realised i was at the pushing phase i really struggled to get the pushing bit right at it burned and i wanted it to not burn so i was pushing in my legs and neck! so to help me she put some handles on the side of the bed and legs in stirrups and i could concentrate properly then. though i did have to keep pulling myself back up the bed as i kept pulling myself down.

hubby watched the head crown, it felt good when i could feel the head outside, and felt hugely relieved when the rest followed - such a strange sensation. Hubby cut the cord and was thrilled when we discovered we had a little boy!!

i did tear a little - MW was being nice when she said i had a few grazes, my notes stated a 2nd degree perennial tear. it took best part of and hour to stitch me back up.
during which time my lovely midwife who happened to be floating about popped in to congratulate us.

all in all a fab labour, nowhere near as bad is i'd been expecting.

That sounds wonderful! He was born on my birthday! heheee..Ok..couldn't help it..

Loverly :) Congrats again hun, little Quentin is too cute :)

Wow! Congratulations littlestar!!

Sorry your first midwife was a bit of a prat, but the second one sounded lovely.

I bet your little one is absolutely gorgeous!! :hugs: xxx

Wow hun, congratulations!! Sounds like you coped super well!! You are now going to make me mega jealous with pics of a teency squidgy little one in cloth! Big :hugs: ang congrats once again to you and your OH xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->