Question about 6 yr olds teeth

xxLeighxx

mummy to Aaliyah & Seth
Reaction score
My 6.5 year old daughter has now lost 6 teeth, her 4 bottom and central top left one and the one next to the central top right one! Her top baby teeth were perfectly straight but her bottom ones were crooked as there wasnt much jaw space for them, dont know why! The 2 bottom permanent ones came in very wonky but now have straightened but the third bottom has no space to grow in! Also, her from top one is growing in above the remaibing top centrap one, and looks so big and discoloured even though we brush them twice a day! 2 of her teeth were knocked out by my 3 year old nephew! Basically im asking if shes losing too many teeth for her age? Will they straighten out once there is space? Has anyone else experienced this with there children? Also my DD has special needs (autistic traits, developmental delay) and is terrified of the dentist, she managed to see one in school before her permanents came in, and we are taking her saturday, any advice on making it more enjoyable for her?

Thanks in advance xx

I would recommend discussing with the dentist- maybe have the dentist look at your teeth first? To show her there is nothing to be afraid of- and maybe future visits with you as well to help ease her into it. Take a favorite toy or stuffed animal for comfort?

Best of luck- I do know that sometimes the dentist can put in spacers to basically hold the space between teeth open so the adult tooth has more room to grow in. My friends son had this done for his teeth. He's gonna need braces though regardless- a lot of it comes down to genetics on what they happen to get.

Thanks for the reply! My OH has the dentist saturday so we are taking her then, dont know how much they will actually be able to look in her mouth though! I know not much can really be done until her baby teeth are out! Nothing but worrying with kids hey x

My son has the same problem with his teeth. He's lost 4 so far (he's a year younger than your DD), one of which was knocked out a year ago and still hasn't been replaced so we are waiting to see if the adult replacement is damaged. The other 3 are from the bottom all next to each other and two adult teeth have come in and taken up all the room so the third has nowhere to go.
We have already spoken to the dentist and there is nothing that can be done as yet. I do know that my son us now getting some pain in his gums at times where the new tooth is trying to push out but its got nowhere to go.

I echo what's already been said about taking your DD along with your OH. You dentist may be able to give you some advice even if he can look into your DD's mouth.

Brace wise, here in the uk it's usually around 14/15 before they get braces.

RachA - its so annoying isnt it, i cant remember having these problems with mine lol! I just dont want her to go through til her teenage years with really wonky teeth, and im dreading othodontic work due to her delays, god it would be bloody murder! Yeh im in the Midlands, i think it depends on at what age all the adult teeth are through and how big the jaw is for braces, so sometimes it can probably be around 13! Least we dont have to pay hey? Im just hoping once more teeth fall out and there is space that they move around abit :/ x

It is a nightmare-bit looking forward to it at all with DS. I know it won't be the same in your case due to your DD's delays but at least waiting until their teenage years means they can understand it and deal with it a bit better. Generally there isn't the stigma attached to it that there used to be. I know so many teens with braces and none of them are self conscious about them at all.

Well im hoping she gets used to it! Shes seen opthamologists (eye doctor) since she was 2 and has to see them every 3 months and had an eye op 2 years ago and shes pretty good for them, except when she needs eye drops so hopefully the dentist is just something she will get used to! Xx

I think it's like that for all children tbh, it's just in your case it'll take a little longer for your DD to get used to the dentist. My son totally refused to open his mouth for the dentist until he was about 3 and he'd been going there with us since he was 6 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->