Question about epidurals

A

AppleBlossom

I was just wondering if you have a long labour and have an epidural does it wear off or do you top it up?
I've heard stories of people who have had an epidural once they got to 3/4cm dilated but then the labour carried on for hours after that and the epidural began to wear off by the time it came to push. I want an epidural not just for contractions but for pushing too because I want to enjoy the experience, not be screaming and crying all the way through it so am I able to get it topped up when if it starts to wear off or do I just have to make the most of it before it goes? lol
Anyone?

I've never been pregnant before but most women have an epidural at 5 or 6 cm dilated. I think the whole reason why they don't like to give epidurals really late on is b/c it can prolong the pushing stage of labour and some people have trouble feeling when to push.

You can get more than one epidural in the event of a long labour, well, here in Canada you can.

Here in the US they will just top it off for you.

i think i was 5cm dilated when i had my epidural and i gave birth to callum pretty much straight away, was all very quick due to him being distressed

I work in anaesthetics, so thought I should clear this up for you! When an epidural is done, they insert a thin tube into the epidural space and put in the drug that numbs you up nicely. This tube stays in place and the epidural can then be "topped up" whenever necesary. The only rule being, when the doctor is happy to top it up. Like most drugs, you have to limit the dosage, so it may be that another dose is not allowed until after the labour. You can get a fair amount in though, so this shouldn't be the case. There is also such things as a "one shot" epidural. As the name says, they just put the drug in and nothing else, then thats it. This is quite rare to do though and I don't understand the benefits.
Hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to ask anything else about anaethetics & pain refief. If I don't know, I will ask at work!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->