question about formula feed.

M

MummyNash

well my daughter is 5weeks old now and taking just under 5oz bottles every 3/4hours but now she still seems hungry... was thinking about putting her up to 6oz but it says on the box she shouldnt be on it till 8 weeks... im always thinking maybe giving her a 5oz bottle then next feed a 6oz then keep repeating... i have read about hungry baby aptimil but it just seems to get bad reviews... i would post this in the FF forum but i dont normally get a response. :flower:

My LO's been on 6oz bottles since he turned 4 weeks as he kept finishing 5oz bottles and wanting more. I told health visitor and she said to make up 6oz because its better we do that and have some left over (Joshua usually has about 5 to 5 1/2 oz on average) rather than not enough. It says on the formula boxes that they are rough guidelines, all babies are different and some hungrier than others. xx

The amounts on the box are simply a guideline hun and not to be followed strictly. Rule of thumb is once they start finishing bottles regularly, to start making up an extra oz - so if you think she's ready then do it hun. If she doesn't want it she won't take it and if she does drink more than she needs she will spit a little back up.

Hungry baby formula is designed for babies who are draining 8/9oz bottles every 2hrs or so in order to delay weaning. It is supposed to help them go longer between feeds so if you give it to your LO at this age they might drop feeds and not get all the nutrients they need to grow.

Follow your babies needs love. Some guidelines are very important, others are there simply for advice. This is the latter - go with your instincts xxx

I have always upped 1 oz if they drained a bottle. Charlie has just gone onto 6oz now at 5 months.

Oh and I forgot to add that she will be going through the 6 week growth spurt soon - so you might find she wants bigger bottles, feeding more often - or both - for a few days before it all settles back down to normal. Just feed on demand and give her as much as she wants, you can't overfeed her xx

agree with what others have said, if shes draining bottles and still hungry up an oz............my youngest was on 7oz by 7 weeks old.... x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->