Question about Pneumonia

Whisper

Mummy to DD & DS
Reaction score
My DH's Nan has been taken ill and is in hospital with Pneumonia. Considering her age and fragility (she only has one lung and very severe breathing problems with the remaining one) i dont think she is going to be coming out of hospital.

I really want to go and visit her with my DH tonight, but do you think it is safe for me, how contagious is it?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

x

I honestly am not sure, I would consult your doctor or MW before going in.

I didn't think it was contagious.. but I'd ask a doctor anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're holding up ok :hugs:

It depends on the type of pneumonia your nan has as to whether its contagious. Viral pneumonia (especially if its caused by the flu virus) is more contagious, but is still still relatively rare for it to be passed from person to person if they are otherwise healthy. People usually get pneumonia if they've had a cold and so their defences are down and they can then second a second infection leading to pneumonia.

Best thing to do is to ring the ward your nan is on or ask to speak to a doctor before you see her. If you're really worried you can wear a mask while you're in there as well, but if you're healthy the chances of catching it are pretty low

Hope that helps (still a med student so knowledge isn't that great yet)

Thanks for your replies! I don't know what type she has i should probably find out. I am healthy and haven't been ill for ages so i think all will be ok, its just when i told people at work and they reacted badly it made me panic!

Thanks again ladies :)

Pneumonia isnt contagious i dont think but what may of lead to it may be.
I had it when i was younger, it started off as a chest infection and got worse (due to my doctor prescribing anti inflamatories instead of antibiotics) pneumonia is infected fluid on the lungs i think.
i was pretty bad ended up with septicemia (blood poisoning) nd had my last rights twice (EEEEEEK) but i pulled through, i was only 2 years old.
hope your DHs nan fights it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->