Question about supplementing..

DebbieF

Reaction score
A little background info ~
DD has been exclusively bf since birth.
She will be 6 months old on June 10th.
Her weight has been stuck at about 13 pounds for almost a month now.
She was born a healthy 7 pounds 13 ounces at 41+1.
Very healthy, her only issue is eczema.
She has met all of her milestones so far.

I want to continue to bf her, but I want for her to gain some more weight. I was thinking to continue bf as I normally do (on demand) and supplement with 1 bottle a day. Is this a good idea? Will it help her put on a little more weight? Has anyone else had success with supplementing? Thanks, ladies. :)

Why do you want her to put on more weight? If she is otherwise healthy I would avoid formula at all costs.

Everyone informs me how tiny she is for her age.. It's really starting to get to me.

Have you talked to her pediatrician? If they're not concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. My son was last weighed at 10 weeks and he weighed 13lbs 6oz. My co-workers daughter is 2 1/2 and she weighs 22 lbs. Some babies are small, some are big.

Also if she is almost 6 months, I would personally rather introduce solids than formula!

I get that too. I don't care, she is gaining on her curve.

Have you talked to her pediatrician? If they're not concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. My son was last weighed at 10 weeks and he weighed 13lbs 6oz. My co-workers daughter is 2 1/2 and she weighs 22 lbs. Some babies are small, some are big.

Also if she is almost 6 months, I would personally rather introduce solids than formula!

I have started to introduce a few solids, rice cereal & carrots. Most of them end up one her face and bib at this point though. :dohh:

I'd stop the rice cereal - it'll make her feel full but it's not nutritious so you'd be better just giving her milk or give her proper food.

Why do you think formula will help LO gain weight? Do you feed on demand? If you do, unless you're planning to force feed her formula it won't make her want more milk. In fact, formula takes longer to digest but it has slightly fewer calories and less fat than breastmilk so if anything I'd think her intake would go down (in terms of calories and fat).

I do feed on demand. DH thinks the answer to our problems is force feeding her. I have been trying to pump the last few days (to force feed) and I just don't seem to get much out despite my best efforts. I wonder if my supply might be drying up?

Also edited to add, I was mixing the rice cereal with expressed bm.

Another thought dh and I have been considering. She is a very active baby. Could she burning too many calories and thus not gaining? Would the answer to that issue be to get her to nap more?

I really wouldn't worry about weight gain unless your pead is.

If she's meeting her milestones and isn't super fussy when trying to eat or sleep it doesn't seem like there is anything to worry about. If you are really concerned, I'd call her pediatrician and get their advice.

From the information you've provided-I wouldn't force a change in her schedule, she seems happy! If she started to lose weight, it would be more concerning!

I think you're her mother and if you're worried about it do what ever you think is best.
I'm sure she is fine and healthy and naturally small but if you would like her to gain weight I think introducing a bottle of formula maybe a good start. It may not necessarily lead to weight gain but it may help so why not try and see how you get on?
A lot of people are very against formula. I Bf but have given formula from time to time and my LO always seems satisfied after formula. I doubt your supply has decreased I think she would tell you if she wasn't getting enough so don't worry about that and I'm sure her activity level is fine.

If she's still staying at the same weight in the next month or so I would probably talk to your doctor to see what they think you should do. It won't be long until she's fully weaned though and I'm sure she will gain quite a bit then :)

It's normal for baby's weight gain to slow down at 6 months. As long as she's happy and not losing weight I wouldn't worry too much.

I weighed her this evening and she has indeed lost weight.. About 3 ounces.. I am so upset by this and to make matters worse my husband is being a total ass about everything. I will make her a doctor's appointment on Monday..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->