Question about the glucose test

Macandcheese

Reaction score
When they take your blood do they use the finger prick method or is it just a regular sample taken from the arm? My dad has diabetes so I used to see him check his blood sugar all the time and makes me cringe at the thought of having to get my finger pricked

From your arm, the only way you get to 'finger prick' is if you get diagnosed with GD xx

The glucose test and blood tests aren't anything to worry about. Trust me... I DREADED it because I hate needles/blood draws. It's a normal sample taken from your arm.

If you're nervous about needles or anything, let them know and they'll do their best to talk to you and distract you until they're done. If it's your first prenatal draw, they will take like six vials. It still doesn't take long but if you're tense the blood comes out slower and thus it takes longer.

Also, be prepared to be there about an hour. You may have been told, maybe not, but they have you drink this orange soda tasting stuff first and then wait an hour before doing the draws.

Also, be prepared to be there about an hour. You may have been told, maybe not, but they have you drink this orange soda tasting stuff first and then wait an hour before doing the draws.

Were I am in the UK I have to have a set amount of lucozade and then be there to have your bloods done an hour later - they have a little button you press and you jump the queue!! haha

Yes it's taken from your arm - they often also take extra for other basic tests/checks as well, such as anemia and rhesus status. I have one for a full blood count and also for transfusion purposes in case I need one.

Rx

Where I am, the standard test is a 2 hour, and you have to stay in the surgery the whole 2 hours xx

Where I am, the standard test is a 2 hour, and you have to stay in the surgery the whole 2 hours xx

It might be one of those things that varies. I only had to hang around an hour, but it was the same deal in that I couldn't leave the hospital. They let me go down the hall to the waiting room, though.

I am in the UK and was tested a couple of months back, I had to have the finger pick test first. Then the proper blood test and my drink was cola flavour not orangey.

Do you get the results the same day?

For the most part you probably won't hear anything about it unless there's something wrong. No news is good news.

I didn't hear anything until my appointment with my midwife two weeks later and all she told me was that I was anemic and needed to take iron and vitamin D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->