Question about wisdom teeth..

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
So my bottom left wisdom tooth has been growing since 2009 and it barely came through, when it first started to grow I was in so much agony and it caused my whole jaw on that one side to become so huge as well as giving me a terrible headache.

Now it will randomly start to hurt on that side whenever they begin growing again not just that one tooth but all my wisdom teeth I'm sure there still in the process of growing, but why is it taking soo long just to come through?!

My gum feels so swollen and it hurts to eat on that side, if I go dentist what are they likely to do for me?
Any experiences will be helpful, thanks x

hey :)

I've worked in a few dental practices. I'm not really sure if this is the only reason for them coming in so slow, but they can come in at an angle. A lot of people have their wisdom teeth taken out because of the angle they come in at. They can be difficult so may have to be referred for sedation or to the dental hospital etc. That's what most of the dentists I've worked with usually done, referrals to dental hospital. They could also do a surgical extraction which is basically just having a tooth out but they would have to remove part of the gum. the pain on the other teeth may just be transferred pain. You know like, sometimes if U have earache you can feel toothache too? The dentist will probably be able to give you something for the pain.

Sorry its been a few years so this is a bit vague lol xx

My bottom wisdom teeth are impacted (coming through at an angle) and have been coming through for at least 12 years if not longer! My left one has broken the surface quite a bit but the right one is barely through. Every now and then I get really bad pain when they are on the move but thankfully it's not often.

My dentist doesn't seem concerned about them though xx

Probably x ray you and see if the are coming at an angle. Also when they half come through it is easy to get infections in the flaps of gum covering them.
If your gums are swollen and sore around in that could be a possibility?

Probably x ray you and see if the are coming at an angle. Also when they half come through it is easy to get infections in the flaps of gum covering them.
If your gums are swollen and sore around in that could be a possibility?

Omg I looked up the infection and I'm starting to think I may have it :(
Only symptom I have is pain when biting down on it whilst eating but it is swollen, I'm going to register at a dentist asap
Really hope I don't have it though x

I have slow growing wisdom teeth too.

In 2003 I was told that my wisdom teeth would have to come out the next year. On the x-rays there were three lumps that didn't even look like teeth yet. Well it was well over a year before the first one (top right) even started cutting. And it yo-yoed up and down for about two years before deciding to stay up and then the other top one started coming in. Same thing, up and down for a couple years (always back down for long enough to have to go through the pain of cutting the gum all over again, of course), and then in 2009 my bottom right one started the journey and I remember chewing on lots of cloves. In did the yo-yo thing for a while but was halfway up for a couple years and I only noticed that at some point it disappeared again when it started cutting again this last week :wacko:

They've all grown in straight though and I have room in my mouth and I was given a weird hooked syringe thing from a dentist to use to clean out the gum flaps since they're open for a while so I've not had to deal with infection so I have no reason to need to get them taken out fortunately.

Not sure if the bottom right one will ever come through cause that was where there wasn't even a lump showing on the x-ray in 2003 and I've declined x-rays since then so not sure if one has developed in the last 9 years.

Glad I'm not the only one who's teeth have made a slow journey, but I hope you don't have an infection or impacted teeth. Ouch.

I'm having troubles with wisdom teeth too. My bottom right wisdom tooth for the last few years has been trying to come out every few months. I'm in pain for about a week and then it's like it gives up trying and doesn't trouble me for a few more months.

But at the moment it's causing me loads of pain and I don't think it's going to stop this time as it has been weeks now. Sometimes it's so bad that my whole mouth and face hurts and gives me earache :( Im basically getting by on paracetomol. I think I'm gonna have to have it taken out but I need my LO to be eating solids first as she needs my boobs! Gonna ring for a dentist appointment later.

I hope you get your wisdom teeth sorted hun, they're more trouble than they are worth aren't they!

I'm having troubles with wisdom teeth too. My bottom right wisdom tooth for the last few years has been trying to come out every few months. I'm in pain for about a week and then it's like it gives up trying and doesn't trouble me for a few more months.

But at the moment it's causing me loads of pain and I don't think it's going to stop this time as it has been weeks now. Sometimes it's so bad that my whole mouth and face hurts and gives me earache :( Im basically getting by on paracetomol. I think I'm gonna have to have it taken out but I need my LO to be eating solids first as she needs my boobs! Gonna ring for a dentist appointment later.

I hope you get your wisdom teeth sorted hun, they're more trouble than they are worth aren't they!

Omg I have the ear ache too! On my left side where the tooth is growing and it so strange because it starts growing then gives up just like u said for a few months gives me a break and starts all over again lol
Ive booked an apt for Wednesday at the dentist so we'll shall see what's going on

I hope you start feeling better too x

Omg I have the ear ache too! On my left side where the tooth is growing and it so strange because it starts growing then gives up just like u said for a few months gives me a break and starts all over again lol
Ive booked an apt for Wednesday at the dentist so we'll shall see what's going on

I hope you start feeling better too x
Thanks, I've phoned the dentist for an appointment and they are phoning me back when they get the list of appointments.
Hopefully we will both be sorted soon! x

I've been 'teething' my wisdom teeth for the past 15 years!!! At the moment i have 2 that are pretty much out, 1 that is half out and 1 that is nowhere to be seen. They are not coming in at an angle so that isn't why they are slow-growing for me.
When i got the first 2 i talked to my dentist about it as i didn't really want to have them. He said that as long as they aren't causing me trouble then he'd recommend that i keep them. I really don't like having them as they've pushed out the alignment of all my lower teeth so instead of having the perfectly straight teeth i used to have, they are wonky :(

My wisdom teeth always come and go, for no reason- there is room for them and they haven't ever come through at an angle (as far as I'm aware)- its ridiculous!

My top right wisdom tooth came through a bit and then stopped. Now it has started again and according to my dentist I don't have enough room on my gum so it has rubbed my cheek and I have an infection. On antibiotics but no mention of it coming out :)

I have an appointment at the dentist next Monday for mine. I just want it out, I've been teething for years! :lol:

I had a lower wisdom tooth out about 6 months ago at the hospital. Just numbed the gum and extracted the tooth as it was half out.

I only had mild pain and mentioned it to dentist during a check up and asked if I wanted it removed and that was that really.

You seem in a hell of a lot more pain than I was in, I'd suggest going to see your dentist and ask for a referral to have it removed.

Hope u feel better soon x

I had all 4 removed (on the same day with a deep cleaning also) this summer. I wanted everything done before I got pregnant (did, but had a MMC, then a chemical :( ). The hardest part was the dentist trying to get me numb. He used like 14 vials of the stuff and I could still feel. When he does a feeling I don't say much if I can feel just a tiny bit, but there was no way I was letting him pull when I could feel. He said I'm the hardest patient he has ever had to numb. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->