Question for all you with toddlers NOT attending the birth...

JellyBeann

Son, Daughter, 2 Angels
Reaction score
What is your plan? We don't want Ollie here at all, because he's so sensitive, he'd just freak out!!

Anyway, if I start to labour in the day, then my nan and granddad or my mums partner can come get him, If I went into labour early or even mid evening (up to about 9pm) they could come get him also. But if I labour in the middle of the night (9am onwards), I don't know what to do... I'm not sure if he would wake up, as he is a light sleeper...and if he did, DH would have to look after him and not be so much a part of the birth... I'm sure we'll figure it out but its playing on my mind!!

:shrug:

I've just sorted this one out for us, much to my relief as it was really really playing on my mind.
My husband is going to be fully responsible for Isla, who will be just 2 when our baby comes (literally, they might even share a birthday!). Not sure how this will pan out in the night as she is still breastfed and although she does fall back to sleep without the breast, it is always me that facilitates this. So that could possibly be a challenge for them both..........If baby comes during the day though (which I think she will as I do feel anxious about the above), all will be peachy.
I have booked a doula to support me during labour and the birth so that fully frees up my husband. If he would like to be in the room during the birth with Isla there too, so be it, but tbh, I think that she would be upset by seeing me in transition and actually birthing, unless that is, I manage to do it in graceful style!!

This bothered me too.... a friend said that my body wouldn't go into labour until I knew it was 'safe' ie that it was the right time for my toddler too. She was right! I been labour at 6 am and family picked her up at 8 am so all went smoothly. I'm sure there's some truth to the theory lol.

Can family /friends come in the middle of the night to stay upstairs In case your toddler needs you? Last thing you need is being distracted during your time. A doula could be an excellent consideration here?

Xxx

This bothered me too.... a friend said that my body wouldn't go into labour until I knew it was 'safe' ie that it was the right time for my toddler too. She was right! I been labour at 6 am and family picked her up at 8 am so all went smoothly. I'm sure there's some truth to the theory lol.

Can family /friends come in the middle of the night to stay upstairs In case your toddler needs you? Last thing you need is being distracted during your time. A doula could be an excellent consideration here?

Xxx

I live in a very small bungalow, so no room really for that to happen! Hopefully I'll go into labour either before bedtime or during the day...I really hope I do!!

Poppy's the exact same, she gets really upset if i even stub my toe! We are looking at the rota like this:

mon-fri - MIL/FIL
friday evening-sunday evening - my parents (they both work full time)
3rd option- next door neighbour

if it happens at night while pops is asleep, I think we'll phone a grandparent to come and keep an eye on her, and keep her occupied upstairs when she wakes!

Our toddler is staying home but will not be near me.
Our house is large enough that DH can take her downstairs to the playroom or outside ( if during the day and it's nice)
I don't want anyone other than the MW and DH to even know I am in labour.. since our families have a tendacy to ignore our requests for privacy.
I have 2 MW so I have the support I need so DH can dedicate his time to LO.. the plan is as soon as lil' man arrives, DH and LO will come into our room ( where I plan to give birth) and LO will be placed close to my head so as not to see what is going on below..
Of course should I labour / deliver during the night.. I hope that LO is a deep enough sleeper that she will wake a big sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->