question for ladies that have been induced

charmy28

Reaction score
I am due to be induced next Saturday ....yay :) I do have some questions though about the process. Do they insert pessaries and then wait for them to work? Do they automatically give you oxytocin or is that only if pessaries don't work? Does it hurt more than natural labour? How long did it take? Would like some stories about your inductions please ladies .:flower:

between 40 and 42 weeks I had 3 sweeps, 2 inductions and then had my waters broke (stubburn baby)
For my inductions I had a gel put on the cervix about 7pm at night, I didn't have any pressaries but I think either is pretty common just depends on the hospital.
Nothing happened so I had some more gel put on about 10am the next morning and then left to wait but again no sign of anything happening.
About 2pm I had a massive bowl movement clear out (no one ever warns you about this, it feels like it will never stop) :) then I started losing my plug but nothing else.
At 3pm they decided to break my waters because they where having trouble getting lo heartbeat and that's when it all suddenly kicked in.
I started labour straight away and went from nothing to 10cm in about half an hour with contractions every 3 minutes straight off.
They didn't believe me at first and said it was impossible to go into full labour that quickly but another nurse checked me and said I wasn't lieing I was crowning so they had to find a room quickly for me and my labour lasted a total of 1 hour 57 mins.
That was mostly because of having my waters broke though, everything was squeezed into such a short time so was very intense and my body was put through so much in such a short time but tbh I wouldn't of had it any other way, yes it was intense but it was quick and ment I didn't have a drawn out labour.

I have heard though that a induction on its own and waters going naturaly can be quite a long drawn out experience though.
Depending on the type of induction you have they may send you back home till something happens but sometimes they will keep you in for safety reasons until it kicks in so take books and snack and stuff to keep you amused just in case.

I can't compare as the only labour I have had is an induction.

I was induced at 36+5 and 36+6 due to complications. They did the first pessary and I just had to walk around as much as possible. Then after 24 hours nothing had really happened so they took the first one out and did a second one.

The second one wasn't having much effect so they said I could leave it for another half hour and then they would stop the induction and schedule a c-section for the next morning (they wouldn't do one on a Sunday for some reason :wacko:)

The MW told me to go for one last walk and see what happens. I got up from the bed and my waters went so we were off. After that they moved me to a delivery room where I was restricted to the bed for the monitors and drip. I wasn't allowed to eat, drink or go to the bathroom.

One the drip was in the contractions went from nothing to intense pain. I had been in hospital for four days by this point with next to no sleep so that could have made it seem even worse. DD was born six hours after my waters went.

There were then further complications but not due to the induction.

I know that everyones inductions are different but for me it was (and still is) preferable to a c-section.

Good luck!

My induction was was very straightforward, but I was already 3cm and mostly effaced. Just hooked up straight to petocin (oxytocin) and four hours later baby was delivered. Nothing else (no other meds) administered.

I was induced at 41+5 and was given the pessery at the opening of your cervix. But I think I was already having mild contractions when I went in. You have to lie in bed for about 39 mins after it is inserted and then they encourage you to walk. My contractions started within 2 hours of it been inserted. I believe that they give the pessery first them the drip. It worked for me straight away and I believe that was cause I was ready to give birth. But the girl opposite me was been induced for medical reasons at 37 weeks and she had 2 pessery s and they had done nothing so was due to have the drip the following morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->