Question for those who have children who are left handed

My son does the exact same thing! Always favours his left hand for everything which has got me wondering if he is left handed or it will change once his older.

My MIL said her sister was left-handed and her mother used to tie her sister's hand behind her back and force her to write with her right. I just don't get it.

One of my twin girls is right-handed; the other is left. I noticed it from very early on. She always favoured that hand to grab, eat etc. Now that she will be 2 next month it is very apparent that this won't change. She colours with the left, holds a spoon with the left etc.

MIL was over the other day and said when she saw DD colouring "Are you not going to keep putting the crayon in her right hand so she takes to it?" I politely said no that I actually LOVE the fact that she is left handed and I will never ever change what is natural/ instinctive behaviour on any of my children. She respected that though and I wasn't offended. They did not know any better in those days and I suppose her mother felt ostracized by a daughter who was "unnaturally" left-handed.

Neither DH or I or any of our family is left-handed (except for this aunt of his). However, my cousin had triplets and just like me one of her girls is right-handed and the other is left-handed.

I read a statistic the other day that left-handed odds double in twins than single babies that one is left and the other right-handed. I would have thought only in identical babies; but my cousin and my sets are fraternal. I found this interesting.

DD and DS1 I could tell from around 1 that they were very definitely right handed.

DS2 is 5 years old and very VERY slightly prefers his left, but is basically ambi as he uses both hands almost equally.

DS3 is nearly 16 months and to be honest I'm still not sure.

My youngest is left handed, she holds crayons with it and her spoon. It is certainly her preferred hand. My Dad who was left handed and was forced to be right handed seems funny about her being so too (apparently if it's in the genes it can affect anyone in the family). I think this must be because he had such a bad experience with it. I'm quite happy for LO to be left handed, I have researched on some things that will make her life more easier as it's much more supported now too :)

I cant remember when exactly we noticed but as a ball park figure between 6 and 9 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->