Question, please help :)

Misscalais

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Ok so I'm weaning my 5 week old onto formula most feeds ( still hoping to do a morning and night breast fed )
I'm just wondering how often he should be feeding on formula. He currently has 150 mil ( like 5oz ) and seems to be feeding every three hours. Is this too much for formula? ( sometimes goes 4 hours )

That sounds great, ff should be on demand the same as bf

Like the PP said, feed him on demand whenever he's hungry just like with BF and feed him as much as he wants. He'll let you know when he's done. You might just start with an amount to make up and see if he drinks it all and wants more or doesn't finish it, then you'll have a better idea of how much he might want per feed, but it will always vary.

A word of caution though from experience, at only 5 weeks, your milk supply isn't established and if you switch to using formula and don't continue to pump regularly during the day and also when baby wakes at night for a feed (unless you are BF all night), then your supply will likely dry up. I had to switch to expressing and formula at 6 weeks because I had recurring mastitis and my daughter couldn't latch and wasn't gaining weight, I was pumping an hour at a time, 6 times a day (6 hours of pumping every day!), and trying to feed her from the breast whenever I could. My milk dried up completely at 10 weeks, which was really distressing. If you are planning to switch totally to formula, then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to continue to BF, I'd really recommend getting some advice on how to keep your supply up even if you aren't BF regularly and get yourself a good double pump to take with you during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->