Question to those with HWB experience...

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
Hi! :flower:

I've had two hospital births already (using just gas and air both times) and am seriously considering a HB this time but I have a reservations...

All these questions might seem silly but would appreciate any answers you can give :hugs:

1. How did you keep your pool water maintained at a good temperature? Did your OH have to keep topping it up? Did he have to leave your side quite a bit to do this?

2. How many midwives did you have during your labour? What happens if all local midwives are busy, do you have to go to hospital?

3. Did you give birth in the pool? If not where did you end up giving birth? Our bedroom is on the top floor so not practical for traipsing from pool to bed.

4. How long after giving birth did you empty your pool? Who did it? Nobody seems to mention this part in their birth stories and I'm worried we're gonna be wasting precious time which we could be spending with our new baby cleaning up, doing laundry and emptying the pool...

5. How did you control visiting times etc after birth? We only live round the corner from MIL & FIL (they will be having our kids whilst I'm giving birth) and I'm worried that without 'hospital visiting times' they would want to come round literally straight away!

Thanks for your answers in advance :blush:

Haven't seen your name around for a while, welcome back and congratulations! :)

1) Didn't have a pool so can't answer this one, sorry.

2) Initially one midwife comes to assess you and then calls for a second when things are progressing. My second midwife was still carrying her equipment up the stairs as my daughter's head was crowning! If you stay at home and insist that they send a midwife out they will normally do so, but if there are staffing concerns then it may be worth writing letters to the head of midwifery beforehand.

3) I gave birth kneeling leaning on the sofa in the sitting room. I had a box of supplies (waterproof sheets, etc.) upstairs and downstairs, so I could just use wherever felt right at the time.

4) Didn't have a pool so can't answer this one. Cleaning up and laundry took hardly any time though. The midwives cleared up most of the stuff, then my husband just had to turn on the washing machine for the rest.

5) She was born in the evening so we didn't have anyone round until the next day. It wasn't a problem at all, but I guess that depends on your family! I suppose you don't have to tell them straight away if you don't want to.

I had a HWB. :)

1) We had a digital thermometer (you can get them for use with baby baths, ours was in the shape of a frog) and he just used a clean bucket to empty out a bit and then topped it up with hot water. I was only vaguely aware of him doing this. He barely left my side at all. I was only in the pool for a couple of hrs right at the end of my labour though.

2) WSS ^ ^ :)

3) I gave birth in the pool, on my knees, leaning on the side. No one touched me or my baby, no one instructed me on pushing or breathing. I lifted her out of the water and straight to my chest.

4) DH emptied the pool. I will ask him about htis and get back to you!

5) I transferred after the birth bc I had some problems, but in future I think I would jut not tell anyone (hopefully would keep the kdis at home with us)... Or possibly tell everyone beforehand to wait for the heads up that we are READY for visitors, and then stick to hospy visiting times... to give us time to clean up, rest bond, establish feeding etc. I think that is more than reasonable. If you're on FB, maybe a status saying "Thank you everyone for the well wishes! We will let you all know when we are ready for visitors.

HTH :)

PS. I hope, if I have any more children, that I will try just using the water for labour and try getting out at the end. I'd like to do it n my knees, over a pile of soft folded towels - no one touching her or me or telling me what to do. Maybe DH would like to help catch and lower the baby for me. I'd like to look down and see my new baby and pick them up in my own time.

You can tell I have been thinking about htis a bit too much.....

1. I put tarp over mine and it stay hot from 9 am to 10 pm when I finally got in.

2. I had 2 Midwives

3. No, I did not give birth in the pool. I had intentions that I would, but my body didn't want to sit or squat in the pool, it wanted to stand. So I gave birth standing in my living room.

4. After ds2 was born I went to the bedroom (after placenta was out) to bond and nurse. Everyone, including DH, went to clean up (there was no messes or anything, but just to tidy up) and at 2 hours when I came out to pee the pool water was out of it and it was being deflated.

5. My mom was present for the birth and she stayed the night, so she was already there. MIL came that next morning because she had ds1, and my dad came as well. Other than that I told people they could come in a few weeks.

I had my HWB on Friday!

1. How did you keep your pool water maintained at a good temperature? Did your OH have to keep topping it up? Did he have to leave your side quite a bit to do this?

We had intended to use a heat cover, but didn't get round to it. While filing it, we covered it with a shower curtain. I got in at about 11pm and DH topped it up with hot water just before Arthur was born at 3.15am. All he did was turn on the hot tap, come back to me, then went to turn off the tap. Easy!

2. How many midwives did you have during your labour? What happens if all local midwives are busy, do you have to go to hospital?

Two - I think that's most common. As others said, you can be quite firm that they must send someone. It's amazing how they can change their tune!

3. Did you give birth in the pool? If not where did you end up giving birth? Our bedroom is on the top floor so not practical for traipsing from pool to bed.

Arthur's shoulders got stuck, and after his head had been out for 7 minutes, I was helped out of the pool - the movement did the trick, and he was born halfway between the pool and the sofa!

4. How long after giving birth did you empty your pool? Who did it? Nobody seems to mention this part in their birth stories and I'm worried we're gonna be wasting precious time which we could be spending with our new baby cleaning up, doing laundry and emptying the pool...

My wonderful MIL siphoned it away with a hosepipe while we got checked over at hospital. Otherwise, I think DH would have done it. It didn't take long apparently.

5. How did you control visiting times etc after birth? We only live round the corner from MIL & FIL (they will be having our kids whilst I'm giving birth) and I'm worried that without 'hospital visiting times' they would want to come round literally straight away!

I think you need to be clear about your expectations beforehand, and make sure people respect your wishes. We've told people we'll be in touch when we're ready for them.

Good luck with your plans!

Hi! :flower:

I didn't have a water birth so can't help with that one I'm afraid! :flower:

You start off with 1 midwife but when things start progressing another arrives so you end up with 2 for the birth. If they are all busy then unfortunately yes you have to go to hospital.

No. I gave birth on all fours leaning on our sofa. Midwives prefer you not to give birth on a bed anyway as bedrooms tend to be pretty small and it's not usually practical, at least that's what mine told me!

Again N/A

My parents had Caitlin and we phoned them about 30 mins after birth and asked them to bring Caitlin round ASAP (my sister came too). They waited downstairs whilst Caitlin got to see Thomas then they came up and seen him. Hubby had also phoned MIL so the inlaws and SIL came too they all had a quick look then MIL and FIL took Caitlin for the night (she was staying there) they stayed for around 20mins and all came together which was better for us. We then had the rest of the day and night (from around 3pm) by ourselves with Thomas. MIL and FIL went and picked hubbys nana up at lunchtime and brought Caitlin back too. My grandparents came and seen him the next day too and then after that it was as and when we said.

As long as you set it out to them that you will contact them when your reeady for them to come they should respect that ... if they don't lock your door and turn people away when they come! X

Hope that answers your questions hun x

Forgot to say that hubby's nana and my grandparents came the next day not the same day :lol: x

wasn't an issue - it stayed warm. i think there were about 10-11 hours between filling it and me getting out at the end - they never needed to boil water or anything like that.

two; in the US, so it was who we hired

yes - gave birth in the pool, recovered on the couch, then they assisted me up to my bedroom.

maybe within the hour? the midwives did it, and did a load of laundry

i had my husband run interference to only let in the people i wanted in - had them clear things with him before coming over.

good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->