Questions about doing back carries with a maya tie

hopedance

Sam's mum and pregnant
Reaction score
Firstly, what age is it OK to carry a baby on your back with a maya tie?

I was at my local sling meet a few months ago, and i was asking one of the leaders (? are they leaders/founders/something like that?) how to tie Sam on my back and if he was big enough. she showed me with a wrap and then with a mei tie. so i finally bought a maya tie after much thought, specifically to tie Sam on my back, but on the instructions it says you can only use it on your back when baby is 12 months or over! before i read that, i had him on my back all day today with my mum to keep and eye on him and it seemed fine, then i read the instructions. bah.

Question 2 - I want to get a mirror so i can see him when he's on my back. can anyone recommend a type of mirror or place i can buy one from that is UK based?

I don't know exactly what a Maya Tie is, but in theory your baby can go on your back in a wrap as a newborn. I don't think I would have been comfortable doing it so young, however. Thomas has been on my back since he was 4 months old, in a wrap and a mei tai.

What is a maya tie? i feel like a right sling dunce now, lol.

I always carried Jack in the back carry in the mei tai, he was too heavy for me to carry in front for very long. I cant see why it wouldnt be okay to do a back carry from any age, especially since sam has good neck and head control :shrug:

I cant wait to talk slings with you properly in June when i come visit! :happydance:

i just googled Maya Tie's, arent they lovely!! looks just like a Mei Tai but with more material! is there much difference between the two?

nah not much, just the wider straps are more wrap-like, so i figured it might be comfier on the shoulders, but when it comes to it, i should have just got a mei tie because the shoulders are near impossible to spread out anyway without suffocating sam in the process!!! i do love it though, i found it near impossible to get him wrap securely with my long wrap on my back.

will you bring your sling/slings? i can't wait either!! it's not that long away now! do you have a shortish woven wrap? i really want to try one out, i might borrow one from the next sling meet to have a play with.

i haven't had a maya tei so i don't know what the body is like but generally once your LO isn't completely swallowed up by the body and has good head control you can pop them back there. You can wear a newborn on the back but i wouod only do this in the wrap and tbh i would only pop them back there if i absolutely needed to that little, say to get the cooking done and there was noone to help out or something.

I have had wrap conversions and a sjaltia with wrap straps and do prefer padded straps for back carries really. I have some pics somewhere of how i used to tie the straps, will go look....

I put Sofia on my back in the mei tai from 6 months, by which point she was sitting up by herself unsupported, tbh she probably could've gone in a bit earlier.

https://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/gems_pix/sling%20pics/DSC02367-1-1.jpg

eek awful old pic, i used to try and get the chest belt a little lower but you get the idea

https://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/gems_pix/sling%20pics/DSC02371.jpg

i didn't always spread the wrap straps over the bum though

https://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/gems_pix/DSC02374.jpg

or i would tie with a lexi twist for more support. This one has padded straps but it shows what i mean well

https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/gem3boys/slings%20n%20things/P2010970.jpg

thank you those are fab pics. i have been wearing him on my back but with the straps a bit different, i'm going to experiment later and see what i can do! i find it so hard to reach back far enough to tie with the lexi twist, i suspect because i'm overweight? have you got any tips? i think i need to do stretching exercises or something lol.

I have a Maya Tie!!! I havent tried back carry though so would love to know how you get on with it? I think you can use it like a mei tai style cos it is essentially a mei tai but with 'wrap-style' straps over the shoulders for extra support.

I have a maya tai, I love it, but haven't tried back carries with it yet, how do you get LO on your back?

to get him on my back i tie the waist strap (i wear it up high under my boobs though because i find it much comfier than down on my actual waist) loose enough to twist. then, on my front, i settle him into the seat with it coming up his back. then i just shuffle him around holding his bum and the waist strap with my left, and holding the shoulder straps with my right hand as they are pulled together in front his chin/chest. i'll take photos if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->