Questions about surrogacy eligibility

Aerith07

Reaction score
I posted in the surrogacy section, but want to get the most answers I can so I hope no one minds me posting here as well. :flower:

I've always wanted to be a surrogate for a family and finally decided to do some serious research on it today and have a few questions. Can you ladies help me out?

One requirement is to have no history of mental illness, however, I did have PPD after my second child for a short time. I got better quickly and it was almost two years ago. Will that disqualify me as a surrogate? Would I be eligible as a surrogate after more time passes?

Also, is there a certain financial bracket I have to be in to be a surrogate? I noticed one of the requirements was financial stability, but could that amount be different for each state? And do they mean my personal finances or my family's? I'm a SAHM, so I obviously make nothing. Haha.

Thanks in advance, ladies.

You'll get better information from surrogacy agencies in your area that you might work with, since some of the requirements differ from clinic to clinic, and definitely from state to state.

PPD is one of those. The agency I work with won't disqualify you over it unless it was severe, but others have it as a hard no since it could make it hard for you to give up the baby, while others will want to put limited liability for mental health care costs to IPs in the contract because you knew it could happen and still decided to move ahead with a surrogate pregnancy. So definitely contact a few agencies nearby and ask them about it. I promise you, they're super friendly about it!

Financial stability is family finances. People on various types of social welfare are ineligible to become surrogates because they're very vulnerable to coercion, being forced to do something they don't want to do or that they feel unsafe doing, because they need the money too much. It's about safety for the surrogate and, honestly, about keeping the agency safe from lawsuits if something like that were to happen to the surrogate.

Definitely don't be afraid of wasting an agency's time with questions - they are all about helping you figure out if you can do it and want to and are ready to before you fill out any forms. They also usually have a shortage of surrogates, so they want to help you so that you'll choose to work through them if you are able to be a surrogate.

Good luck!

Chellesama

Thank you so much for all the info! I'll call around. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->