Questions for Ladies with Thyroid Issues

CaliDreaming

Reaction score
I have been TTC my second child for nearly a year now, and I strongly suspect that I may have hyperthyroidism. My acupuncturist thought that I had it, and when I did more research almost all of the symptoms ring true for me. Also, my mother had it and she had to have a goiter removed when she was just a few years older than me.

I have had symptoms of hyperthyroidism all of my life which have varied in intensity. However after I had my baby and started TTC for #2, I noticed symptoms that were very pronounced. I had been having regular, but extremely short and light periods, dizziness, night sweats, my hair had gotten fine and brittle, and I was extremely fatigued in the evenings. I had written off most of these symptoms as just what happens to new working mothers--we started ttc when dd was 9 months old--so I didn't see a doctor.

I just went to a FS last week and she ordered tests for my thyroid--TSH and thyroid antibodies, along with a test for glucose. I am waiting for those results now. I have so many questions.

1. What happens if you have all the symptoms of thyroid disease, but the results are in the "normal" range? Do they do further testing? I am so convinced I have thyroid problems that I would be skeptical of any normal result.

2. Can supplements or acupuncture affect test results? I have been seeing an acupuncturist and taking a boatload of supplements for the past 6 months or so. The worst of the symptoms seemed to go away after I started acu and supplements, but I still feel tired from time to time, still have palpitations from time to time and still no bfp. My periods have increased in length and flow somewhat, but are still much lighter than normal. Basically I still feel like something is wrong.

3. I know thyroid issues can affect fertility, but is that true even when you ovulate regularly? My periods are perfect except for the fact that they have been so short and light. I am hoping that my thyroid is the reason why I haven't had a bfp yet, and the reason why it took us 8 months to conceive dd #1.

4. Can most thyroid problems be managed with medications or does it depend? My mother had surgery to fix her problems, and unfortunately she passed away so I can't ask her why she took that route. I'm not sure if my symptoms sound like I would have a more severe case or just a borderline case that went out of control in recent months.

Thanks for any help you ladies can provide!

Hi there!
I am not very familiar with hyperthyroidism but I have read a lot about thyroid disease since I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune during which the destruction of the thyroid leads to hypothyroidism. Since you had your antibodies tested it would be almost certain if you have it or not depending on the result. Your thyroid hormones might be in the "normal" range but if you test positive for the antibodies this means that you have the disease which sooner or later will affect the thyroid hormones.
Surgery is needed when the thyroid is very enlarged or when there are nodules. You can have an ultrasound to check the state of your gland. I would say for now wait for your blood results.

I hope all goes well! GL with the results...

Hi CaliDreaming, I suspect that I have hypothyroidism too but if I do then I've had it years without realising. The symptoms are getting more acute though. This past week, I've felt pressure around my throat and had some palpitations. I've always been a cold person and has suffered with fine hair and constipation for years. I'm trying a little iodine supplementation along with selenium as I think it's likely that I have iodine deficiency that can cause hypothyroidism. I've read that you have to be very careful with iodine supplementation as it can make symptoms worse so I'm starting off with a low dose and see how I feel. I've also read that you should avoid tap water (chlorine and fluoride) deplete iodine and cruciforous vegetables (sorry about the mis-spelling).
Good luck and I hope you get some answers xxx

Hi there!
I am not very familiar with hyperthyroidism but I have read a lot about thyroid disease since I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune during which the destruction of the thyroid leads to hypothyroidism. Since you had your antibodies tested it would be almost certain if you have it or not depending on the result. Your thyroid hormones might be in the "normal" range but if you test positive for the antibodies this means that you have the disease which sooner or later will affect the thyroid hormones.
Surgery is needed when the thyroid is very enlarged or when there are nodules. You can have an ultrasound to check the state of your gland. I would say for now wait for your blood results.

I hope all goes well! GL with the results...

Thanks so much for the response. So the key is the thyroid antibodies. It's good to know that my doc will be able to make a definitive diagnosis one way or another. I guess I will jut have to wait and see. Waiting is so tough!

Hi CaliDreaming, I suspect that I have hypothyroidism too but if I do then I've had it years without realising. The symptoms are getting more acute though. This past week, I've felt pressure around my throat and had some palpitations. I've always been a cold person and has suffered with fine hair and constipation for years. I'm trying a little iodine supplementation along with selenium as I think it's likely that I have iodine deficiency that can cause hypothyroidism. I've read that you have to be very careful with iodine supplementation as it can make symptoms worse so I'm starting off with a low dose and see how I feel. I've also read that you should avoid tap water (chlorine and fluoride) deplete iodine and cruciforous vegetables (sorry about the mis-spelling).
Good luck and I hope you get some answers xxx

Thanks so much and I hope you can get some relief for your symptoms too. I've heard a lot of good things about selenium too for thyroid problems.

Hi Cali,
I thought I should my story, too. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (super overactive thyroid, probably due to autoimmune issue) 10 years ago. I had a huge goiter and all the obvious symptoms. They radiated the thyroid (killed it) and I have been taking thyroid replacement (levothyroxine) ever since. I have to get my bloods tested every year or so, just to make sure things are okay. If I feel off I do so more regularly. All in all, it's been easy to deal with and I hardly ever think about.

Anyway, it sounds like you wouldn't be as extreme as in my case. But I wanted to hear from someone who was extreme AND for whom it hasn't been a big deal.

Keep us posted! Hope it all works out!

Hi Cali,
I thought I should my story, too. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (super overactive thyroid, probably due to autoimmune issue) 10 years ago. I had a huge goiter and all the obvious symptoms. They radiated the thyroid (killed it) and I have been taking thyroid replacement (levothyroxine) ever since. I have to get my bloods tested every year or so, just to make sure things are okay. If I feel off I do so more regularly. All in all, it's been easy to deal with and I hardly ever think about.

Anyway, it sounds like you wouldn't be as extreme as in my case. But I wanted to hear from someone who was extreme AND for whom it hasn't been a big deal.

Keep us posted! Hope it all works out!

Thanks so much for sharing your story! It's comforting to know that this condition is easily treatable even in the most severe cases. I have a collection of odd symptoms that are sometimes annoying, but by themselves aren't noteworthy enough to see the doctor about. I hope that it can be controlled with medicine.

I will echo happyshopper on the benefits of selenium. Up to 200mg a day can do wonders for thyroid antibodies! The lower the antibodies the less aggressive the disease. If you don't want to take it as supplement 3-4 Brazil nuts a day have about the same amount. However, I would stay away from iodine...

I will echo happyshopper on the benefits of selenium. Up to 200mg a day can do wonders for thyroid antibodies! The lower the antibodies the less aggressive the disease. If you don't want to take it as supplement 3-4 Brazil nuts a day have about the same amount. However, I would stay away from iodine...

Thanks so much! Very useful info!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->