Questions on Bringing Baby Home

Sweetpea7830

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I posted on BNB. I went into premature labor at 26 weeks and was able to hold out until 29 weeks. Our little boy was born at the end of December and spent about 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU. He finally came home about a week ago! :cloud9:

We are trying to adjust to life together and working out feeding, etc. In the NICU, he ate every 3 hours and ate well, then pretty much slept until the next feeding. At home he is ranging from 15 ml to 55 ml at feedings - so I never know how much of the precious expressed breast milk to heat up! :) - and sometimes wants to eat after another hour (esp on the 15 ml feedings). We are trying to figure out how to keep him full and happy, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem of bringing baby home and not being able to keep his feedings regular.

I am also finding that he has reflux, which the doctor said is common in preemies. Prevacid helps and so that is good, but I am wondering if anyone else has any tips.

Thanks!

Hi
I don't really have any advice for you I'm afraid but congratulations on the birth of your little boy and I'm so glad to hear you have him home with you at last.

All I can say about the milk is to maybe just heat up small amounts at a time and see how he goes. If he is still hungy, heat up a little more. It's a faff I know, but like you say, that expressed milk is so precious!!

I believe the Infant Gaviscon is good for reflux but fortunately we haven't had to use it with Poppy
xxx

dont have any advice hun, just want to say congrats it must be great having your bub home, esp so soon, what a wee trooper!! Though i know alot of mums at my hospital say its scary, i'll be terrified when emma gets home!! enjoy it, and seek help/advice from your healthvisitor if you think it will help. xxxx

Congrats on getting the little boy home!
I am having the exact same problem! Same thing, a three hour schedule, eating just fine in the nicu, but now that we've been home since the end of January, she's eating every 1 1/2 hours to every four hours.
Saw my doc yesterday, she said its totally normal for the little ones. when they get older it will start to moderate itself out, but in the mean time, as long as they are gaining weight at a healthy pace, its all good. I'd imagine you are seeing your doc/pediatrician right away here, just ask them. And maybe just warm 30 ml at a time? Frankly, because I had such a tough time with my milk production, I supplement 75% of her feeds. It really sucks, not what I planned at all, but I can hear your pain on the idea of wasting the damn stuff.
As far as the reflux goes, Betty was prescribed Ranitadine, it seems to help. She still spits up, but not nearly as badly.
I only got betty home about a week ahead of you, so I'm no expert, but its sounds like your little guy is acting just like a regular newborn.
Kinda nice, in a really exhausting way...

Sorry to make this brief - but I am in NICU accomodation and on my own right now with twins on different feeding patterns!!

Just wanted to say that one of mine has relux problems and the doctors have recommened nursing him in the "anti reflux position" which means me feeding him very upright and they want him in his cot with feet sloped downwards as well.

Hope this helps :hugs:

Sorry to make this brief - but I am in NICU accomodation and on my own right now with twins on different feeding patterns!!

Just wanted to say that one of mine has relux problems and the doctors have recommened nursing him in the "anti reflux position" which means me feeding him very upright and they want him in his cot with feet sloped downwards as well.

Hope this helps :hugs:

Thanks! that is a huge help! I also have been reading up on the "anti-gas hold" - meaning holding him (securely) facing down over the length of your arm after he eats. We are going to try this as well.

We have been put on Prevacid and Tylenol Mylicon. It is helping but he is still having some serious bouts and he is still ranging anywhere from 20-80 ml! :p I have poured almost three ounces of breast milk down the drain in the past 12 hours. :cry:

We are going back to heating it up at 30 ml at a time and see where it takes us...

Congrats on getting the little boy home!
I am having the exact same problem! Same thing, a three hour schedule, eating just fine in the nicu, but now that we've been home since the end of January, she's eating every 1 1/2 hours to every four hours.
Saw my doc yesterday, she said its totally normal for the little ones. when they get older it will start to moderate itself out, but in the mean time, as long as they are gaining weight at a healthy pace, its all good. I'd imagine you are seeing your doc/pediatrician right away here, just ask them. And maybe just warm 30 ml at a time? Frankly, because I had such a tough time with my milk production, I supplement 75% of her feeds. It really sucks, not what I planned at all, but I can hear your pain on the idea of wasting the damn stuff.
As far as the reflux goes, Betty was prescribed Ranitadine, it seems to help. She still spits up, but not nearly as badly.
I only got betty home about a week ahead of you, so I'm no expert, but its sounds like your little guy is acting just like a regular newborn.
Kinda nice, in a really exhausting way...

I am so glad to hear that we are not the only ones! Our ped seemed like it was ok as well...but wow it's tiring in the meantime. He doesn't sleep well right now...he fusses off and on for most of the evening and much of the day. I read somewhere they should be sleeping 16 hours a day. That is not what he is doing!

I am sorry to hear you had trouble with the breastfeeding...right now I am able to keep up with him but not for long if I have to keep tossing out what I pump when I heat it up and he's not wanting it all!! We are going back to the 20-30 ml at a time so we don't pour all that liquid gold down the sink...

How is your little one doing now? It took me a while to get back on BNB since he has been running us ragged - he wants to be held all the time as well. I think we are all making up for the 6 weeks he was in the hospital. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->