Quick bedsharing / breastfeeding question

Sazaroo

Reaction score
Hello lovely ladies!
I have a 10 day old DS and we are bedsharing, it's probably a silly question but where he breastfeeds through the night with us both laying down he is spending the nights sleeping on his side up against me. I know it's recommended they sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS so should I be placing him onto his back after? He likes to stay latched for ages and I fall straight back to sleep so it's easier to leave him on his side but I don't want to take any risks.
Thanks in advance!
Xxx

No help but i do the exact same thing as he uses me as a dummy. I assume as long as there no chance of him rolling on his side all should be ok??

Just out of curiosity- do you not burp after? Are you sore? Thanks!!!

Mine did the same when he was nursing all night long. Very soon yours will probably get to a point where he'll roll back onto his back after a feed and you won't have to worry, but if mine wasn't done with the nipple, I just let him stay where he could get to it and rolled him back onto his back if he ever got around to unlatching. As long you're rousable and following other safe co-sleeping guidelines, it sounds fine.

That's exactly how we have slept for months. When he was smaller, I would pay attention and make sure his face was not pointed towards the mattress, more up, when he was done. Now he head is much bigger and I don't stress about it. He only recently (like two nights ago) started rolling onto his back himself sometimes!

We don't burp after, and I don't get sore.

I would burp after if he were wiggly after the feed-- they'll let you know when they have a gas bubble. I've never gotten sore from it, but I remember being sore in general in the early days. Your nipples toughen up and their latches generally improve with age.

We sleep like this too :flower: He sleeps in the crook of my arm and I wrap it around him, he's on his side snuggled up against me. It's been this way pretty much since the beginning. Neither of us move much at all overnight.

I don't burp him either, at night he's so calm and pretty much asleep still that he doesn't get any gas. He just unlatches and it's straight back to sleep.

No help but i do the exact same thing as he uses me as a dummy. I assume as long as there no chance of him rolling on his side all should be ok??

Thanks mummybean, and congrats, your little man kept you waiting too then huh?! Yeah Leo uses me as a dummy too, which I don't mind but means he's attached for aaaages!

Thanks to everyone else for replying, you've put my mind at rest :)

I was sore initially but it's much better now... Praise The Lord for Lansinoh! And I don't tend to burp him unless he seems unsettled, he falls back to asleep 9 times out of 10 whilst feeding.

Xxx

Its fine, as long as their face isnt covered by you. I never burped after unless he was wiggly, didnt want to wake him up:)

It is fine sleeping on his side next to you, as long as his nose and mouth are away from clothes and pillows. He will start to relax and fall on his back on his own in a starfish way :) he is just too small now, he will be looser later.

I rarely burp now, used to every 10 min of feed because of reflux but only if he was awake. Never burped him while asleep.

Thanks mummybean, and congrats, your little man kept you waiting too then huh?! Yeah Leo uses me as a dummy too, which I don't mind but means he's attached for aaaages!

Thanks to everyone else for replying, you've put my mind at rest :)

I was sore initially but it's much better now... Praise The Lord for Lansinoh! And I don't tend to burp him unless he seems unsettled, he falls back to asleep 9 times out of 10 whilst feeding.

Xxx

yea 10 days in the end but he turned up in 45 min so I will forgive him lol.

Yea he can stay on for ages...as long as every thing safe I just dose back off - means I am getting much more sleep then I did when I FF my eldest. xx

Thanks ladies for your replies. I guess my little one isn't a good example. I tried this yesterday afternoon and we co slept for 30 min at least, no indication of gas/needing to burp. The next thing I know, he is spewing major milk from him mouth and nose all over me and himself! We were both sleeping.. So, I will be burping as I was..even if I wake him!!

Both mine fed like this overnight. If he fell asleep I would move him up a little and onto his back, but I would often fall asleep first!

Does he have reflux, the milk coming out of his nose indicates its coming up with alot of force....ie reflux. Burping can help but is not always the answer for reflux.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/sleep-problems/co-sleeping-yes-no-sometimes check this link out. i love dr sears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->