• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Quick question re follow on milk

Miss_Cellany

Reaction score
I know there is no need to switch to follow on milk at all as the first stage is fine up to switching to cow's milk but is there any reason not to? The only reason I ask is because I've noticed in Boots you can get points on the follow on milk! I'm still giving him stage 1 milk at the moment and have no issue with continuing, I was just wondering if I could get the extra points.... :blush:

I asked the same thing to my HV who told me that stage 1 is closer to breast milk in terms of nutrition so I've decided to just stay on stage 1

My LO was Breastfed until after 10m but I then switched her two follow on milk so I could get the points :thumbup:

They're not much different in all fairness so if you want to switch then go for it.

The only difference really is that follow on milk is often made with a higher proportion of a different type of milk protein, casein, as opposed to whey (I think first milks are usually almost entirely whey-based). Generally, casein can be less easily digested than whey protein (it's often used in hungry baby milks as well). We actually tried cow and gate follow on milk around 6 months on a whim (they were out of first milk powder) and in my experience, it cleared up my daughter's constipation, even though it's can be rougher to digest for many babies. She'd had very irregular poos since birth (even when BF), but it improved drastically on follow on milk and also once we were weaning. Purely for that reason, I decided to keep using it. So I think the only reason not to switch is if it causes tummy issues. If your LO has been responding well to first milk, I wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry to switch, but there's probably no harm either.

I use stage 1, tbh it's largely out of protest as I find follow on milks a complete con, I've also heard that the proteins in follow on milks aren't as good.... Not sure how to word it but basically I've heard there are issues with obesity?...something to do with beta proteins, same as in hungry milk? (not trying to start any arguments I have nothing to back myself up just something a HV said one I do trust with DS1 so may not be accurate). I figure stage 1 has got to be the most nutritious and easily digestible so I won't be changing even if it's cheaper, I used stage 1 until DS1 was 13 months then switched to cow's.....that said DS2 is on prescribed milk ATM so I'm not paying for it, thankfully dr has prescribed us stage 1 (he's 8 months) if he had of done stage 2 I would of asked for stage 1 (would have been interesting to see what he would of said and if he'd let me!) we will be getting a referral to a paediatrician (CMPI) so maybe I will ask there and report back here :)

I know this makes me sound like im on my high horse but I won't use follow on milk just because I completely disagree with the advertising and marketing of it plus there's absolutely no need for it. Same as I wont use pull ups. But if you compare nutrition and caleries etc theres hardly any difference so if you want to switch it wont make that much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->