• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

quickest way to make up bottles

Mummy2B1989

Reaction score
I bottle fed my first but it seems like so long ago. Ive been breastfeeding for the first two weeks but hes not gaining weight etc so ive made the decision to ff. I want a tommee tippee eaay prep machine but everywhere local to me is sold out thanks to black friday.

How do u make urs up? During the day and at night time? Dnt want ds2 starving waiting on a kettle cooling down

I breastfed for the first 7 months but afterwards in the morning I used to boil the kettle full x amount of bottles and then I had a formula container with different compartments in. And then when she wants a bottle I just put the formula in the bottle add a bit more hot water so it's warm and shake it.

Obviously people will say it needs to be newly boiled etc but it isn't always practical because they can't scream waiting for 30 mins x

Example for 6oz bottle:

Boil kettle
Measure 2oz boiling water
Add powder, mix by swirling
Measure 4oz cooled boiled water in seperate bottle (I ised tap water as my LO was breastfed for 10months)
Add cool water to the hot milk. Give a gentle shake. Done quick and SAFE

Yep I do both these. In the early days i did the 2 oz boiling water (or whatever ratio of hot water needed to make a warmish bottle of however many oz ur baby has, mine has pretty much always had 5 or 6oz so 2oz hot, 4oz cold for a nice warm 6oz bottle), powder in, shake, top up with cooled water. At night i took a flask up to bed and a bottle of cooled water.
Now shes older i do it the other way round... 4oz cooled water, 2oz hot and then add powder and shake. At night i take the bottle to bed with 4oz water in and a flask to top it up and a pot of premeasured powder.

I can honestly say i have never ever boiled kettle, waited 30 mins, added powder, cooled.. like it says on the tin. That is just not practical at all!

Example for 6oz bottle:

Boil kettle
Measure 4oz cooled boiled water in seperate bottle (I ised tap water as my LO was breastfed for 10months)

this ^^ before 6 month i used cooled boiled water not tap water, but now i use tap water.. so much easier and cheaper than a perfect prep.. also i didnt boil the kettle every time, i just filled a thermos flask that keeps warm for 8 hours

I make my mine up and store in the fridge and warm up as needed. This is how the WHO recommend to make up bottles if making up required is not an option.

Just bought Baby Brezza Formula Pro. (Like a kuerig for formula lol!) Makes bottles at perfect temp in seconds with touch of button no bubbles !! It's awesome late night when baby screaming :)....

I make up the bottles for a 24 hour period and store in fridge. I use semi cooled boiled water.

Then I microwave a bowl with a little bit of water and set the bottles in it for a few minutes.

our baby is 6 months old and since she has been born we have always pre-made and stored in the fridge all her feeds for 24 hours.

when out we sometimes used ready made cartons but now just take along pre-made bottles kept cool now she is older as she has feeds/solids to a predicable routine. its worked well for us :)

Example for 6oz bottle:

Boil kettle

I have a perfect prep for at home but do this when out and about, either boil a kettle or take a flask. I use a bottle of coiled water from the perfect prep because it has a filter but coiled boiled water would be fine.

As we use anti reflux formula and u have to leave it for 7 mins I think it gets a bit cool for lo as he seems to prefer the bottles made up with boiling water from kettle, they are probably warmer. Xx

i did forget to say.. dont plan too much ahead.
I was going to get a perfect prep, but at one point my LO was on SMA stay down, where the water has to be cold, like boiled, cooled then refrigerated. so for that im so glad i didn't, and for this i just boiled water, let it cool put the water in a jug in the fridge and made bottles when needed, when out i just put the cold water in bottles and took the formula with me

I was told it only needs to be boiled if using tap water (by hospital and chemist), we use mineral bottled water and warm it up in the microwave with the formula. I make bottles at top speed like I'm on a game show or something, because both my twins scream blue murder when hungry and get in a terrible state, they have a huge appetite and hate waiting!

I have a Tommee tippee flask. The water stays hot for hours. I'm gunna just pour water in and add powder to bottle when she's ready and cool it in a jug. I will probs use ready to use cartons when we are out. The only trouble is there not cheap and need storing in the fridge once opened. So if you only needed half the carton I guess you will have to chuck the rest. This 2 hour thing is a nightmare. Of it wasn't for that rule then the night feeds would be easy. You'd just take a ready made one up to bed. I'm not looking forward to sorting bottles in the night' when she's abit older ill probs leave them for longer. My sister and friends and parents all had them made up for longer. So unrealistic now. Good luck xx

I was told it only needs to be boiled if using tap water (by hospital and chemist), we use mineral bottled water and warm it up in the microwave with the formula. I make bottles at top speed like I'm on a game show or something, because both my twins scream blue murder when hungry and get in a terrible state, they have a huge appetite and hate waiting!

over here (UK) we are told never to use bottled water, i cant remember why, something to do with something in it, but every country is different aren't they

I have a Tommee tippee flask. The water stays hot for hours. I'm gunna just pour water in and add powder to bottle when she's ready and cool it in a jug. I will probs use ready to use cartons when we are out. The only trouble is there not cheap and need storing in the fridge once opened. So if you only needed half the carton I guess you will have to chuck the rest. This 2 hour thing is a nightmare. Of it wasn't for that rule then the night feeds would be easy. You'd just take a ready made one up to bed. I'm not looking forward to sorting bottles in the night' when she's abit older ill probs leave them for longer. My sister and friends and parents all had them made up for longer. So unrealistic now. Good luck xx

in the first week of my little boy being home i made up say 4 bottles for over night and left them at room temp, they were obviously there alot longer than 2 hours, he was never ill from that, it just made his reflux worse so i then started making them fresh with hot water, add formula and cool down with cooled boiled water, i still do the same now or make them up and either leave on the side or put in the fridge, now i just use tap water since he turned 6m.. ive never had any problems other than reflux

over here (UK) we are told never to use bottled water, i cant remember why, something to do with something in it, but every country is different aren't they

It could be to do with the minerals, we can only use water that is low in mineralization. Those that are apt usually have a picture of a baby on the label, but guidelines do indeed change with each country X

I make my mine up and store in the fridge and warm up as needed. This is how the WHO recommend to make up bottles if making up required is not an option.

This is what I do too. We were giving DD colief, which meant making bottles on demand was even more impractical than it is normally, and I've just continued doing it this way since we stopped using colief. Talked about it with the HV and she just shrugged and told me that's the way she did it too ;) It takes 30 seconds for a chilled bottle to warm up in a jug of boiled water, as opposed to 10 mins+ for a hot bottle to cool in a whole sinkful of cold water!

When we go out I take bottles of ebm as I'm expressing what I can(DD is tongue-tied and can't latch to nurse), and I have a 200ml carton of ready made formula in my changing bag for emergencies, but everyone at my baby group who FFs either brings bottles premade or brings a bottle with just the cooled boiled water in and adds powder from a pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->