quit smoking. any advice

Hm daddy

Reaction score
I've been trying to stop smoking for what seems for ever! I've tried just about everything and just woundered if anyone had some advice?

Hiya.

I smoked for 8 years and around 15-20 a day, in March it will be 4 years! It's different for everyone but for me I'd said I was going to quit most days and maybe managed a few hours. I quit when I started ttc. I woke up one morning and thought right this is the day so I snapped all my the fags I had, threw all ashtrays, lighters etc. out, washed all the bedding and curtains and febrezed the whole house to get rid of the smell. I used nicotine gum for about a week, in the morning and after every meal becaus they were the times I most needed a fag. Also I had to stop going out drinking for a while because that would of been too much temptation for me. After doing the 1st week I was so proud that I didn't want to start again and I wanted to prove everyone wrong that said I wouldn't manage it.

My OH couldn't do it by himself though so after months of me nagging he went to the doctors and got precribed champix tablets to help. You take them for 1 week while still smoking then you up the dose and stop. If you try and smoke it makes you feel sick. He was really addcited and a nightmare if he didn't have a fag! He smoked 30-40 a day but on the 10th if this month it will be 3 years for him.

Sorry for the essay! lol
Good luck, you can do if you put your mind to it :)

I did it cold turkey with baby no2.

My sister was 20 a day for 12 years.

She started taking Champix 3 weeks ago and has been ciggy free 9 days.

V xxx

I heard that the tablets have side effects such as anxiety, did he not have any side effects

Nope, not one. He said he's reccomend them to anyone wanting to quit. A colleague at work started them around 2-3 weeks a go too and she's not smoked since and had zero effects. I'm sure that they will be some people out there that will get some, as with every medication, it effects people differently but I'd deffo say it was worth a go.

have u read Allen Carr's book? It's fab!

I read Allen Carr's book and although it didn't help at the time of reading I did stop a few months later and bits of the book stuck in my mind and helped. I used patches for about a week and then forgot to stick one on one morning and didn't realise until later in the day and stopped bothering after that.

It does help if you are really wanting to stop. I told myself if I could go a day without a smoke then I was never going to start again as I found the 1st day the hardest and didn't want to do that again. Change your routine too. I'd get up in the morning and go straight into the shower rather than having a fag and a cuppa :haha:

Good luck

Change your routine! I have been smoke free for a week tomorro! And I was on 10-15 a day! What has helped with me is changing my routine, me an my best friend always have a chin wag on the phone straight after the kids are in bed an we both used to puff away but I have limited contact with her the last few days an the habit of lighting one up has slowly gone and I know she hasn't been smoking as much so it's doin us both good- I do miss her tho!!

I feel so proud of myself that I do t even want to light one up!!

You can do it!!!

Hiya love, I've just started a little journal in the health thing forum place, fancy a quitting buddy? :lol: I've done awful so far, made it til half 5 and it's been downhill from there. Better luck tomorrow :p

Hiya love, I've just started a little journal in the health thing forum place, fancy a quitting buddy? :lol: I've done awful so far, made it til half 5 and it's been downhill from there. Better luck tomorrow :p

Yeah haha think we can do it together! Haha

Hey, I started smoking when I was 12 (I know, very bad) and a week after my 25th I stopped and just didn't buy any more, kept myself away from those who smoked (went to my sisters for two weeks) and didn't want a fag. By the time I came home to my hubby who also smoked, the smell knocked me sick.

My hubby started quitting on Monday and had one and Tuesday he had three. He is going to keep trying and he has an appointment to see the Smoking Clinic in a couple of weeks in case he needs help.

Everyone is different, I managed straight away with no help and it looks like hubby is going to need help, although he has promised not to buy any.

Is there a smoking clinic you can go to? Someone that can offer the best methods for you to succeed? My Grandmother smoked since she was 16 in 1952 and quit in March 2011 with the aid of patches (incredibly proud of her), my Aunt found success with inhalators. People here have said gum and those magic pills have worked for them. The best thing I can suggest is book an appointment to see what they can do for you and try not to buy any.

Good luck, I hope you are successful soon. X

i was hypnotised 48 days ago & havnt even thought about having another cigarette!! i was on 20 a day straight to 0 a day..
it did cost £60 +£15 travel so wasnt cheap BUT ive saved over £300 so was worth it :)
xxx

Have u tried patches? My dad was a heavy smoker and had smoked since he was a teenager. he was the kind that u would think would never be able to quit.. But its been about 8 years now & he done it on just patches. He got them prescribed by the doctor as I know their expensive so could be a possibility? My dads always been a chef/pub manager and he managed to quit whilst being surrounded by smoke/smokers before the smoking ban came in.. so I always say if he can do it then anyone can lol.

have u read Allen Carr's book? It's fab!

I was smoking 40 a day and had been a smoker for around 10 years (early starter :blush:) when I read his book.

I started it on the Wednesday, finished it and gave up on the Monday and have never smoked since. That will be 8 years ago this month.

Best thing I ever did, it cost me a packet of fags to buy it and has saved me more than £300 a month!

Its called Allen Carr's easy way to give up smoking (my sister gave up from this book too!)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->