Random question - scarlet fever

vitriolic_vix

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my 6 year old kept saying that she didn't feel well last week and I just brushed it off as her trying to get some time off school. Being the working mother that I am I did what anyone would do and sent her to school :blush: she came out in an itchy rash Friday night which stayed for a day or two. It's still there slightly but doesn't look as bad. I spoke to after school club today and she mentioned that a lot of the local schools have had outbreaks of scarlet fever including one across the road.

I'm now a little worried because I'm not sure if she's had it and whether I should be concerned with baby. She seems ok now but she's been complaining of a sore throat, didn't eat much over the weekend and slept a little more. I had just thought virus.

Anyone any experience?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 15
Scarlet fever is bacterial, so antibiotics can treat it if necessary. Internet seems to say it's only a worry if you show symptoms, aka a rash. Then you'd want to give your OB or midwife a call to see if you need to come in.

If your daughter is on the mend, it's probably not a big deal for her either, but you'd want to bring her in if she gets worse again.

It's only a problem later in pregnancy I think. Never hurts to call the mw but I think you're fine. I'm 11 weeks and have a very poorly boy so I've been researching it x

My 6 year old had this in October. Didn't even complain of a sore throat, just broke out in a huge trunk rash (face, back, butt). We treated with antibiotics for 10 days.

Discuss with your doctor!

My step kids got it when I was about 12 weeks, called the midwife who had no concerns. I had advice of using a seperate hand towel etc but she wasn't concerned. Just give them a call and they'll be happy to chat over the phone and it will put your mind at ease. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->