Rant.

LouOscar01

Reaction score
Argghh OH has just walked into the room and said he doesn't want to do his job anymore because he can't do it unless he commits 100% to it and if he does there is no time for anything else. Bloody hell. This isn't what we need 8 months before TTC. The job he wants is in politics working for the labour party....they don't come up often and we don't live in a labour area.

Arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Career change right now IS NOT GOOD. he is only a week into his job as a teacher!!!!!

Hugs....and breathe....

8 months away is a good amount of time to settle into a new career then u have the time it takes to conceive and the 9 months gestation so a career change wouldn't be so bad now. My oh has 2 weeks left in his current contract so has no choice but to get a new job and were only 4 weeks away from TTC and I start a new job in the next month or so as well.

I think u need to take a step back and relax before panicking, a lot of things can change in 8 months.

I hope iv helped a little x

8 months is plenty of time to make a change!
but do remind him, pretty much everyone hates there new jobs in the first few weeks at some point! i know i did and i absolutely love it now

He needs to give teaching time, you can't make an informed decision after one week in the job and I'm a teacher, there isn't a much harder job out there in terms of level of commitment and dedication!
In saying that, if he's not fully committed well then it's kind of the wrong place to be, for him and definitely for the kids!
8 months is a long time in reality, to get a new career sorted or even on the way...

Yeah, it's an insane job. He is up at 5am to commute to school and then gets home at 7 and works till 2am.....I get that he is new to the job...but really....that makes for 21 hour day.....I miss him and it drives me up the wall to keep hearing 'I can't I've got stuff to do.

ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I hope things settle down for him soon. Everyone finds a new job time consuming to start with he will prob find it settles down.

Hopefully that's just while he's settling in, because no one could be expected to sustain 21-hour days. That's ridiculous. How far is his commute? Two hours each way?!?

Yeah, it's an insane job. He is up at 5am to commute to school and then gets home at 7 and works till 2am.....I get that he is new to the job...but really....that makes for 21 hour day.....I miss him and it drives me up the wall to keep hearing 'I can't I've got stuff to do.

ARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That sounds awful, you must hate having no time with him right now. Hopefully he gets into a routine and finds more time during the day that he can get work done instead of taking it all home!

Teaching is really demanding when you first start. But it should get better with time. I understand he's feeling bad when he has to work this many hours! :wacko:

His commute is 1.5 hours each way, but it takes him about 3 hours to plan each lesson. He is teachign history and says he is has to learn what he is teaching, plan a lesson and make the resources....I understand all this...but no one else works the hours he does. It's not sustainable and it's totally unmanageable. Gah.

I used to have a commute like that and it was really tough. I could only keep it up for a year and then we had to move. Are their any experienced teachers that could mentor him and help him figure out if there are anyways he could improve this?

I'm not a teacher, but I grew up in a family of them. It is really demanding time-wise the first year they teach a course, because they have to learn the material and plan out how to teach it, but it is way better after that first year. The first year, they generally end up planning each lesson the night before, it's hard to get ahead. Many people hate it the first year, but it does get better once you have all your materials, and can focus on enjoying teaching the kids. I agree with pp, maybe there is a more experienced teacher who has already taught the course that can give him some materials to work from. Might save him some time.

The commute does sound long, I feel for you both!

I can totally relate to this. I am in my first year of teaching (geography) and I am also shattered, and fed up. He is spending way too long planning each lesson! What sort of age groups does he teach? I teach from 11 to 18, but realistically my teaching/planning ratio is 50:50. He shouldn't be spending that much time making resources! Does the school not have courses made up already?! And if not, he can use textbooks etc as a basis for his lessons.
I understand wanting to impress people by being all singing all dancing, but in reality he is probably planning an amazing lesson and then being too tired to present it effectively!
I am writing a whole course from scratch, but that isn't needed for another few weeks. I am using workbooks and textbooks for my other classes, and making up powerpoints and worksheets for another of my classes, but really there is no point reinventing the wheel.
Hope it gets better for him soon, I am on week 6 and feeling a lot better! X

He is teaching 11 to 18 as well. I told him that the lesson plan should never take longer than the lesson itself!!
It's hard because I'm teaching too (year 2 primary) and I'm working really hard to get done so I can have free time...but then I cant spend my free time doing what I want which is spending time with him!!
It's causing problems!!! I get annoyed with him because I feel that it's unreasonable and he gets annoyed with me because he thinks I'm being unreasonable!! Waaaaaa. I miss him!!!! Thanks for all your replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->