Rapid let down/ spraying

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
So as the title says, my let down is overwhelming. Lo seems to get frustrated or doesn't want to latch when we first start bf'ing. My milk will at times also spray everywhere and his face gets a milk bath. :dohh:

Does this get better? Did I do something wrong? Can I fix this issue?

Thanks ladies!!!

You could try block feeding for a couple days. Or you could try feeding in a more upright position. And sometimes if you hand express enough to get rid of the spray LO will settle to feed better.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

It gets better. I had a forceful let down and my son used to end up choking at times. I tried hand expressing till let down started and let it spay for a few seconds hen feed and it helped but it was very messy. It took a few weeks to settle down x

This was happening to me so I reduced my supply. I don't recommend this it's just what I did- I fed my baby 3 bottle of formula instead of breastfeeding her for about 9 hours I went. My boobs got engorged and hurt like hell but it reduced my supply and now I block feed her and everything is fine and she is gaining weight perfectly. I had an over supply from the 3rd week growth spurt where she fed like crazy... Every 30 mins it was exhausting. The thing is she never threw any of it up so I guess she needed it. She is 6 weeks now and spaces her feeds out a lot better.

You can keep a cloth or towel nearby then when lo lets go spluttering and milk is spraying out catch it in the towel until letdown is over, then let lo latch on again. It will be ok in a few weeks, your baby will be bigger and able to cope with it. You haven't done anything wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->