Re-introduction

Poorah

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've not been on the site for a while, so thought I'd give a quick recap.

Martha was born at 30+3 due to pre-eclampsia on my part and weighed 1150g (2lb 9oz). Luckily we bounced between the ventilator and CPAP for a week after which she breathed on her own and we spent the next eight weeks in hospital trying to get some weight on and failing miserably due to horrendous reflux.

Fast forward 12 months :shock:, she is still tiny (12lbs 6oz-ish) but generally a happy wee soul. We've had a very bumpy ride with reflux, but it seems to be on the wane and she's only sick a few times a week and normally at mealtimes.

Developmentally I am in a state of constant worry. Between her reflux and tiny stature I'm happy enough that her gross motor delays are explained by her history (she's not sitting unaided at 10 months corrected), but I'm worried that she's delayed in other areas and I'm just too stupid to know. I've got no one to talk to about this as of course all my friends have term babies who either hit their milestones right on cue or were stupidly early. I'm just so tired of the anxiety, and I know that it wont go until I see her master each new skill. If someone could tell me it is just a delay and she will definitely do everything I'd be happy, but they don't/can't. She's just so fantastic it would break my heart for her not to reach her full potential because of her rough start.

And on that happy note, I'm off to read the rest of the board.

Jx

Because of her low birth weight you are eligible for early intervention - you should check with your area to find out - but they can help you with milestones as well as therapies to make sure - or just assessments to reassure you that she is doing great.. either way its an excellent resource to have at your disposal - unless it just occured to me that you might be in the UK and then I wouldn't know..

Thanks.

We are in the UK and as she was born before 32 weeks she automatically gets a physio, speech therapist and developmental check ups until she is at least 2. The team are great and have worked with Martha since birth so they are well versed in her back story. We're going back soon, so I can raise my concerns with them. It's just hard when you are surrounded by "normal" babies.

Hi again,

We spoke a while ago. Glad to hear Martha is well. She is so very tiny! The neurodevelopment clinics are amazing and the best way to find out about milestones etc. I have a club on Facebook for all mummies (some of whom are preemie mummies and they have helped me out with development questions) please feel free to come and join. There's lots of advice x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->