Ready made - powder milk ?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Does anyone think or been told theres a difference at all even though the same milk (like cow & gate stage 1 etc)- should there be?

Heres the deal;

Since Caitlin came home I pan boiled her water my kettle although was pretty new starting getting that scale stuff very quickly since this house so was no way we were using that - kept meaning to get a kettle either didn't get into town or forgot when we were there! No biggy for me pan boiling fresh water - She was on SMA gold power milk!

Sicky baby (near enough every feed) so changed her to SMA ready made cartons thinking it was poss the water in general and was still sicky!

Changed her to cow and gate and ordered a filter kettle so she was on the ready made cartons of this. Appeared to work was less sicky!

Got kettle - so back to powder milk

And last couple of days (3-4) running nappies & not so sicky .. still that it was worrying (BAD nappies) and then of course last night badly poorly sicky baby - to the extent she brought up what I thought was the whole bottle (if you read my other thread) & more! Resulting in out of hours GP calling out.

Im wondering now is it the powder & water - Is she better on the ready made etc!

Ringing HV Monday but wanted to see what you Mummies think or poss know

x

I don't know what the difference would be, but I've never liked the cartons tbh, unless used for emergency use. DS has had a bottle of formula before bed since he was 6 months (Hipp follow on), when we went on hols I took a carton of ready made to the airport hotel and he spewed it all back up. It reminds me of UHT milk!
DS used to bring up entire feeds once or twice a day, every day for months. It was horrid :( Could Caitlin be allergic to something in the milk?

Appears to be opposite for me - the only reason she went to cartons was because of the kettle & water. Might not be anything to do with the water or even the difference with carton or powder but trying to weigh it all up if you see what I mean and at the moment shes been fine on cow and gate ready made rather than our water & powder or just pure timing of each.

:wacko: I was going to say the water, but then again you ahave a filter kettle?!?! So I am at a loss too babe. :hugs:x

Hmm well i have heard of babies spitting up more with the powder and then babies spitting up more with the ready-made. If she wasnt spitting up as much on the ready-made - just use that. Jack was always spitting up. His was reflux though. He spit up sooo much and would soak through half of his onesies!! It was just handfulls upon handfulls of spit up *yuck!* We tried everything though - burping at half the bottle, not burping til the end, burping every 2 oz, sitting up after a feed, and we changed formulas alot in the beginning. We never found any that worked except for the enfamil a.r. (acid reflux) which has some rice cereal in it. It worked AWESOME cept made him constipated *sigh* He just eventually "grew out of it". That may be what will happen with Caitlin. As long as shes gaining weight fine and doesnt appear to be in any pain.

Id have said the water but as said you have a filter kettle? so maybe it's the type of milk, is she lactose intolerant maybe? what did the doctor say?

We used the powdered for ages, then had a few little cartons of ready made spare (for emergencies or trips out) but then we started using ready made all the time and had no problems at all. All health professionals i've asked say that ready made and the powder are the same, but I notice the consistency and colour of the ready made is different.. maybe the preservatives? you can keep it much longer, so something must be different. Oh and forgot to say, Bethanie used to puke more when she had ready made (when she was little) thats why we didn't give her it at first. Maybe Caitlin is just a bit of a sickly baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->