'Real' periods after the pill?

Kimmer

Mummy to a beautiful baby
Reaction score
So, I hear everywhere you should wait till you have a 'real' period to know when you can try properly.

Here's my question. I came off the pill just last saturday. I've 'come on' today...

How do I know what a 'real' period is?!

It sure feels real, cramping, mood changes and things.
I am confused!

Also, I'm new and don't have a clue what all the abbreviations mean, so be gentle :p

this should help you with the ling https://www.babyandbump.com/forum-help-testing-area/730-babyandbump-lingo-abbreviations.html

as for a "real" period I think that they mean when you start having a consistent period. Unfortunately after coming off birth control periods can be quite sporadic of some. In others it straightens itself out immediately

Hi Kimmer. Welcome to BnB!
Last time I came off the pill I got pregnant pretty much immediately, so never had a 'real' period.
This time it's been a couple of months but I seem to have gone straight into a pretty regular cycle... but then I've read on her from women who've taken a lot longer than that.

Remember, much like when you'll get your 'real' period, you could get pregnant right away or it could take some time. For me I think start as soon as you're ready (in case it's quick), but be prepared for a wait (in case it's not). :)

When you're on the pill your "period" is just a withdrawal bleed from stopping taking the hormones for a week. It can take a few months for the pill to get out of your system but it varies from woman to woman. A tip I was given was to use towels rather than tampons and check for fresh, new blood. When you're on the pill, the lining of the womb often doesn't shed properly and so when you come off it you often get old blood and clots in your period. After a few months you should get "nice" fresh red blood and this is a good sign of a "proper" period. I had a couple of 28 day cycles, which I think was my body just in the habit, but since then its varied from 27 to 31 days, which is perfectly normal.

The other thing is that when you come off the pill, you can get symptoms of pmt or even what could be pregnancy, which is just the come down from the hormones. Some people say you are super fertile when you stop taking the pill. It didn't work for me but good luck!!!

Hi
Welcome to the forum! I came off end of Dec and had 'Pill period' then think I had another 'pp' at end of Jan. Defo think real period has arrived this month as much darker sorry if too much info! (TMI) and cramp was ridiculously bad! my pill cycle was 28 days but last cycle was 32 days so I'm thinking I'm quite lucky that things seem to be getting back to normal quite quickly.

Hope that you get back to normal soon too, everyone is different so guess it's a case of waiting and seeing really. Quite a few people on here seem to have had a good success rate of conceiving quickly after coming off the pill and also for getting back to normal. Whatever happens it's fun trying!! haha!

Everyone here is lovely! I'm quite new myself and everyone has lots of good tips and info on everyhting you can possibly think of, and you'll soon pick up the abbreviations!

xxx

I had my normal pill bleed and am now halfway through my first cycle so haven't yet had my first proper period after coming off, but we are still ttc now as you are most fertile after coming off and didn't want to wait !!!!!

Good luck xx

I came off the pill and had a withdrawal bleed 30th Jan...been waiting now 34 days for my "real" period. We got down to it straight away but it doesnt look like I was successful as tests suggest!

I think the consensus is that if you get pregnant when coming off the pill before a real bleed, then it is harder for your GP to predict the due dtae if you are successful.

Good luck. As you can see there are many of us in your position..........:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->