Realistically.. Exercise after c-section

MoBaby

Mommy to a precious son
Reaction score
So I'm 2.5 wks out from c-section. I've started walking. I know recommendations are 6 wks until exercise is started but realistically when did others start? I was thinking at 3 wks to start doing low impact stuff like continuing walking, squats, etc. and gradually building back up and running after my 6 wk appt. I can't see going another 3.5 wks just walking as I'm feeling fine. It's just weird I can't feel my abs down there! I was very active before pregnancy and didn't exercise during due to high risk. I'm ready to get back into it!!

I think I started walking around 3 weeks too. I started playing volleyball at 8 weeks but couldn't really get to the gym. If you feel good, I'd say it's good to start slow. I know if I overdid it in the first couple weeks because I would feel more sore that night and my light bleeding would return.

If you listen to your body and start slow, you should be just fine :)

I am two weeks out today and started walking. That being said, I have been back to full house work for about 5 days now.

I started exercising a bit at 2 wk pp - just primarily dancing at first because that's the only thing that would settle my lo. Just don't overexert yourself and you'll be fine.

I started walking around the house the second week as well. I did not start working out until 2 months pp.

The first 4-6 weeks, I spent doing deep core exercises. It doesn't seem like doing much by doing these, but it was to start activating the core and all ab muscles. I'm talking about the exercises that are meant to fuse both muscles up if it parted. Mine didn't part but it's supposed to help with your core.

After that was done, I started a workout regimen by 2 months pp. a 3 days a week program of beginners mode. If you have worked out pretty consistently before pregnancy, you're considered a beginner again after pregnancy, especially after c/s. So I did squats only for lower body with a 1lb dumbbell each hand, as you wanna start out as low, very very low. Do not f around with your post section recovery! Depending on how you feel, I highly advise to start very low and baby steps. So anyway, for upper body, I did overhead press and other typical upper body exercises.

I'm now at 4, going on 5 months pp. Just take it easy. Listen to your body. When I go to hard, even now, my scar tend to tingle or get sore, so I'd stop. Most are so eager to start working out. I recommend to activate you tva first. Google it, you'll see how to. Or YouTube it.

Im 3 weeks pp after emcs and reading your posts makes me feel like im not doing well as my scar and abs are sore when i walk around :(

I have an extremely high pain tolerance. I'm still a little swollen and slightly tender. Don't compare your healing to mine... I've heard from others they were sore for weeks. Feel better soon! Did you have to push at all as well?

I did walk today with baby in sling and it felt good.

Im 3 weeks pp after emcs and reading your posts makes me feel like im not doing well as my scar and abs are sore when i walk around :(

That's totally normal hun!

Just listen to your body and every day you'll be able to do a little more :)

dont worry im right there with you.. :hugs: and to top it off my incision has come back open in a few small spots.. this mess is crazy ugg

So I'm 2.5 wks out from c-section. I've started walking. I know recommendations are 6 wks until exercise is started but realistically when did others start? I was thinking at 3 wks to start doing low impact stuff like continuing walking, squats, etc. and gradually building back up and running after my 6 wk appt. I can't see going another 3.5 wks just walking as I'm feeling fine. It's just weird I can't feel my abs down there! I was very active before pregnancy and didn't exercise during due to high risk. I'm ready to get back into it!!

Walking is fine. But anything low impact, squats, lunges etc I would say are an absolute no! In order for your body to heal, fully it needs the 6 weeks. You could do more damage than good. Even if you feel good. Your body has gone thru a major surgery. After the 6 weeks absolutely start your running and work your way up. The thing is a lot of women have issue with a diastis, which is the separation of the stomach muscles. At this point you would not be aware if you have this issue or not. Doing squats and lunges always incorporates your core. So you could really do damage. Give your body time. Don't rush it. I know for me I have some big fitness goals ahead, but will wait for the 6 week recovery to allow my body time. Weight loss will happen. Don't rush it. My husband is a personal trainer/ kinesiologist and sees this with his clients all the time. Push yourself too soon, the recovery will be much longer than the 6 weeks.

I think you're fine. I feel completely different than I did with my 1st, which was an EMCS - I felt like it took forever (actually 8/9 weeks) for me to even begin to want to do anything. I felt so much better this time, which was an elective C-section. You'll get there :hugs:

The area around was still sore @ 3 weeks. The soreness will stick around for weeks. Even now at 4-5 months pp, if something accidentally hit my scar, there's still soreness, not definite pain. The nerves have been cut through and it takes way longer for nerves to heal. Although some professionals also claim sometimes, they don't heal completely. Maybe that explains why some ladies experience some tingles or weird sensations even years after their c/s.

Also, I have read somewhere that during your pms week or during your period, your scar area will be more sore or just sore, maybe with other weird sensations as well. I don't remember what else I had read. I have noticed this happening to me.

I waited til 6 weeks and would agree with pp about waiting. I know you say you feel good but it feels weird that you can't feel your abs. One of the things that takes time to heal and get back to normal is your sensation down.in that area. If you feel good but a bit numb you could do yourself some harm without feeling any warning signs and do more damage. It's 6 weeks for a good reason and it will fly by. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->