Really daft question about Bottle Feeding..

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
I know that when you make up a bottle you need to boil the kettle 30mins before you wanna give the feed .... but I'm confused with what 2 do when bubs is screaming for dinner and you gotta wait atleast 30mins anyway when MW's tell you NOT to pre-make bottles and leave in fridge....

....any advice for me??? I'm obviously a novice hahahaha

xxx

didnt want to r and r, i have no idea either!!! aghhhhh!! x

You can add freshly boiled water then cool it in cold water. Or have a flask handy.

You can add freshly boiled water then cool it in cold water. Or have a flask handy.

so what ur sayin is i can make 1 straight away for her and just cool it down??? god im gonna be so crap at this...

:cry:

xxx

I don't know either hun:shrug:

I was going to make a few up and then just warm in the bottle warmer when i need them. I know there are loads of people who say you're not supposed to do this and some who say it's fine....

Confusing huh? :hugs:

Yes you can boil the kettle then put the water in the bottle but then put it in a bowl of cold water. During the day its alot of planning ahead etc during the night I must admit with my son I pre made the bottles and used the bottle warmer which was a god send...Why would they make a bottle warmer if you wernt supposd to make up the feeds?

I just dont make a shed load of bottles just say two at a time...Im not saying go against the midwife at all, make your own descion but my son is all fine and dandy and I did that with SMA Gold :)

I was going to make a few up and then just warm in the bottle warmer when i need them. I know there are loads of people who say you're not supposed to do this and some who say it's fine....

yep its very confusing!!

i wonder if they still show u in hospital what 2 do when ur a new mum??? i know they give u pre-made bottles tho dont they when ur in post-natal ??

im gonna ask my MW on Tuesday cos this is the only thing worrying me...

xxx

yep its very confusing!!

i wonder if they still show u in hospital what 2 do when ur a new mum??? i know they give u pre-made bottles tho dont they when ur in post-natal ??

xxx

I really don't know, i'm hoping for a bit of guidance but it's probably luck of the draw who's looking after us.

I'm sure we'll be fine, bet it won't be long before we're laughing at ourselves for worrying xx

Yes you can boil the kettle then put the water in the bottle but then put it in a bowl of cold water. During the day its alot of planning ahead etc during the night I must admit with my son I pre made the bottles and used the bottle warmer which was a god send...Why would they make a bottle warmer if you wernt supposd to make up the feeds?

I just dont make a shed load of bottles just say two at a time...Im not saying go against the midwife at all, make your own descion but my son is all fine and dandy and I did that with SMA Gold :)

Thanks hun!! That makes complete sense and my mum did this with all of us and it never did any harm. Ill make 2/3 up at a time then I know they not gonna be sat there all day!! My MW advised against it but loadsa women did it years ago.....

xxx

yep its very confusing!!

xxx

I really don't know, i'm hoping for a bit of guidance but it's probably luck of the draw who's looking after us.

I'm sure we'll be fine, bet it won't be long before we're laughing at ourselves for worrying xx

I think this is hospital specific so best to check like you say :thumbup:

I'm planning on breastfeeding but if i need to either top up with forumla or go onto just formula i'll be making a few bottles beforehand and then just re-heating them as that's how my mam and everyone done it when we we're little. :)

with my last 2 (now 5 and 2) i made enough bottles for the day, using cold boiled water, and storing them in the fridge. What i didnt use i threw away at the end of the day and made enough for the night. So sort of 12hrs worth at a time. It was 18 months ago but my midwife seemed fine with it. I guess its just down to the individual.

I went to a friends the other week who bottle feeds and she was telling me how she does it :

She boils the kettle first thing and leaves for 30 mins. She then fills flasks with the water (i cant think what they care called but you know the onces that keep liquids warm) and then when baby is ready for bottle she has the water at the correct temp in the flasks, so she just makes up a feed with that water. She said change the water in the flasks every 8 hours. She has a smaller flask for when shes out and about.

I plan on BF so im not sure if this is correct procedure or not!

xxx

you can get little tubs for formula that fit into the bottles. so in the morning get all your sterilised bottles for the day( roughly 8 bottles) boil the kettle and measure out the water for the formula into the bottles. then measure out the amount of formula i.e 3oz bottle = 3 scoops and 3 oz of water, and put the yubs in the bottle and put in the bottles in the fridge. the water has been boiled so therefore ready to use and will be cooled ready for feeds. all you have to do then when baby is ready for a bottle is tip the formula in the water, shake and heat up the bottle in hot water which takes about a minute. this is what i did with both my kids and they rarely had to wait too long for a bottle. failing that you can buy the prdone cartons of milk which can be very useful to have in if you run out of made up bottles. hope this helps and gives all you first timers an iea of what to do. :)

You can boil the kettle in the morning fill the bottles up and leaving them on the side but you Arnt meant to put milk in until you use it. pre-made milk must have some sort of thing in it so it don't breed the bacteria as milk is the perfect breeding ground x

MW's and health officials are forever changing the rules! So they are bendable! :)
I will be making up the bottles and having them in the fridge...the same as if i'm going out for a few hours and baby will need a feed i'll have the premade bottle in the bag at room temp.

The old guidlines used to say 4 hours out of the fridge is ok, it never did my Leo any harm xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->