Really gassy and maybe constipated???

Michy

Mum and Preggo
Reaction score
For around 2 weeks I think Alfie has had colic. He suddenly went from a happy baby who rarely cried and slept 7 hours in one go at night, to crying all the time (even half way through feeds) and feeding every 2 hours, even through the night.

He is incredibly gassy and it obviously causes him lots of pain and often wakes him up at night.

I've given him infacol before every feed for a week now and I thought it was working, as early on in the week he slept for 5 hours at night but for the past 2 days he has been terrible, crying all the time, REALLY gassy and straining to go to the loo during and after every feed ( and sometimes in his sleep too).

He hasn't passed a stool for 24hrs now, which I know doesn't sound terrible, but it is very unusual for him, normally he goes 3-4 times a day, sometimes more.

I have gripe water in, but haven't tried it yet as he is only just over a month old, has anyone found gripe water better than infacol?

Any other suggestions? Please - I need some sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is fed EBM by the way.

I found the gripe water worked wonders on my son ..he had reflux and colic and once he was on gripe water he was a happy baby again

Poor Alfie! and you too!

Max too was very gassy and some of the symptoms sound so similar but by this point he was on formula so we changed to Cow and Gate comfort and havent looked back since. Seeing as you are BF though have you thought it might be something in your diet that disagrees with him - I know there are endless amount of foods that 'could' cause discomfort but the main ones - brocolli, onions, caffeine....

We used infacol too and still do, some people say that Detinox or Colief have worked well for them...

Hope you get some sleep soon!

Colief is tricky to use if breastfeeding as you have to add it to the milk before giving it. It is good stuff though. I use gripe water and it does help a lot with trapped wind.

poor LO :hugs: we always used to use infacol and then gripe water if needed. i found it worked wonders :) x

Poor Alfie :hugs:

I used to massage Lola's tummy and put warm cloths over it when she was gassy. Also putting her to sleep on her tummy helped her release it.

Thanks for your responses!

Well I went for the gripe water and then after his feed got him on his matt naked and made him do some squats!!! Sounds stupid, but I had read on the net that it helps to get things moving and wooooohhhooooo 3 squats in we had explosive poop everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was soooo relaxed afterwards and has only cried for about 10 mins since 9pm!:happydance:

I feel so relieved, I knew it would happen sooner or later, but I just felt so sorry for him being in pain.

He doesn't actually feed from the breast (long story) all his milk is expressed, so he takes it from a bottle, therefore I could try colief. I might order some, it is good to have some options when things get like this.

Hoping for a bit of sleep tonight [-o<

Poor Alfie! and you too!

Max too was very gassy and some of the symptoms sound so similar but by this point he was on formula so we changed to Cow and Gate comfort and havent looked back since. Seeing as you are BF though have you thought it might be something in your diet that disagrees with him - I know there are endless amount of foods that 'could' cause discomfort but the main ones - brocolli, onions, caffeine....

We used infacol too and still do, some people say that Detinox or Colief have worked well for them...

Hope you get some sleep soon!

Hmmmm funny you should say that I've had brocolli quite a bit recently.

I think I will stay clear of it for a while!

Thanks xx

Amelia has all her feeds EBM and she only poos once every 2-3 days and can be really gassy inbetween have cut out dairy and stay away from most veg

we did used to use infacol but on advise can actually make gassiness worse? we have since stopped using that and use gripe water every so often when she needs it and has been so much better since

Gem x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->