Really stressed with weaning!!!

E

emmad339

I am a mum of 6 month old twins and this whole weaning thing is really stressing me out. My health visitor started discussing weaning when they were about 4 months old and so I tried it. My son took to it like a duck to water and will basically eat anything you put in front of him. My daughter however is having none of it. She has expressed an interest in certain foods so I have stocked up on these and now she's pulling a face everytime i try feeding her, but she has eaten them enthusiastically on previous occasions so i know she likes them. She just doesn't seem to get the hang of swallowing the food. As soon as you put the spoon in her mouth she pushes the contents out immeditaely with her tongue. I'm not expecting her to have impeccible table manners and I know that babies make a mess when learning to eat but this is bordering on ridiculous - it's like trying to feed a lizard the way her tongue keeps pushing the food straight out lol. The thing is, I know it's not me cos otherwise I would have problems with her brother. I know that all babies are different and I can't expect them to be the same with everything but they are like chalk and cheese. I'm feeling so stressed and lonely. My partner is hardly ever here to help me and I have no family living nearby (they live 100 miles away from me) and I'm starting to feel like a single mum for all the support i get. People who I once considered to be friends have proven that they were only drinking buddies back in the days when i had a social life and now that I am unable to go out drinking with them they don't want to know - nobody ever comes to visit and I feel so alone and miserable, which just makes everyday hurdles seem much worse than they are because I have no-one to talk to about them.

I'm really sorry for having a rant and a moan but once I started I couldn't stop:cry::cry::cry:

No advice (new to weaning myself!) but wanted to send you hugs xxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it sounds like your little girl isn't ready yet...some just aren't at 6 months.

Maybe you could try (while feeding your boy) popping some things she can hold and have a suck/nibble on - that way she can get the idea of swallowing on her own.

I agree with Lisa - it does not sound like your daughter is ready if she still has the tongue thrust reflex. Lots of babies are not ready at 6 months. Personally I would leave offering food for a couple of weeks then start offering finger food - I wouldn't push spoonfeeding as they are getting more independent and wanting to do things for themselves at this age.

I agree with the pther posters, maybe your daughter isn't ready yet.

Try not to get stressed though, as they will be just fine with milk only until they are a year old. I started weaning our little one around 5 months and it has been a slow process, he really doesnt like lumps and still doesn't knwo how to chew, but I try not to worry, he has the rest of his life to eat proper food :)

I would alos hold off for a few days / weeks and then satrt again. Maybe just feed your son and give your daughter some safe finger foods to experiment with, she will get the hang of spoonfeeding when she is good and ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->