reassuring family and book recommendations

rosie5637

BFP 7/7/11 AI
Reaction score
well the birth centre across the road from me doesn't look like it will be re-opening in time for my birth:nope:

so i am now going to plan a home birth. i hope my midwife won't say i'm too late, my next appointment is at 34wks. i haven't really given much thought to the logistics and things i will need yet as i had no clue where i was going to end up. where do i start? can anyone recommend a good book on the subject? i am comfortable regarding risks etc, i don't see how it's any different to the birth centre but i'm not sure on the practicalities of being at home.

also, i spoke to my stepdad the other day and he mentioned that my mum is a little nervous about me having a home birth. i am a single parent and she will be my birth partner. i didn't have problems with my last birth, just took forever. she is always supportive of my choices but any advice on easing her worries?

When I was expecting DD2 I just happened to loan from the library Sheila Kitzingers "Homebirth and other alternatives to hospital"

When my MIL basically accused me of risking my unborn childs life by choosing a homebirth I used the knowledge from this book to actually show the choice I had decided to make was as safe (perhaps in some ways safer) as a hospital birth.

The book is probably a bit dated now but the basic principles of why homebirth can be safer and more beneficial to mum and baby remain the same. It also helped me to make sense of a lot of the bad stuff from my first hospital birth.

The confidence the book gave me meant even though my husband also felt nervous about my choice orginally he trusted me to have made it for the right reasons and supported me. It was clear I wasn't just being some kind of idiot choosing homebirth on a whim, but had really thought through all the implications.

Maybe the book could help your mum to feel more comfortable and confident with your choice too? I know the things I took from it helped my partner and mum to feel more confident in my choice.

Ina May Gaskin's Guide To Childbirth always eases my worries and fills me with confidence, and for your mum perhaps something like Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Robert Bradley? She needs to be completely on board and not nervous otherwise it might rub off on you. Obviously, he does mention in the book that it's not always husbands who are there, but it applies to anyone hoping to be a birth partner :thumbup: It's a bit dated, but my OH is finding it really useful, but now he knows TOO much and keeps telling me off for 'not preparing enough' :haha:

Also, Homebirths And Other Alternatives To Hospital is good, as the previous poster said :) I hope you have a lovely birth, just the way you want it :hugs: x x

Ooooh and New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas :thumbup: only just remembered that one! lol x x

thank-you ladies!:thumbup:

i managed to get sheilas book from the library and read it all in one day:coffee:

i think a tiny seed of doubt had been planted in my head after hearing that my mum was concerned but i'm back on track now.

just need to get a list together of things i will need or find useful for the big day. will probably do that after speaking to the midwife next week.

eek only 7wks to get sorted:happydance:

Hey,

I had a home birth with my first in march 11 - i decided to only tell 2 people about my decision to save me all the raised eyebrows and horror stories etc i did however buy this really good book called juju sundins birth skills, i read it 2 weeks before i went in to labour and i felt very empowered and confident in my body's abilities. there are websites as well you can visit, www.homebirth.org and the nct website has some useful information on homebirth too.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"