Reception class in a special needs unit

sequeena

Winging it.
Reaction score
A post elsewhere got me thinking... Thomas just started school in an SN unit. Right now I know they are just playing. How do they get the kids to learn and what things do they learn? Is there a guideline somewhere I can read? Thomas still doesn't understand a massive amount.

And no it did not occur to me to ask this question when I met his teacher :dohh:

Not sure if this is standard across the board but I was talking to a friend actually about special schools as we were discussing when a child needs to go to SN school over mainstream school and she said her friends daughter who is autistic went into reception a year earlier to help those with additional needs reach their potential - so I'm presuming the EYFS guidelines even in SN schools will apply if my local SN school welcome children a year earlier to support their academic development?

Thanks for replying! Yes I imagine the probably stick to the nursery side of things for a while. I will have a quick google today there must be info somewhere about it.

my friends lb just started a sn school i will ask her

Thank you I will have a read :)

Well I found out today that They did a music and movement activity. Sounds fun!

I used to work in EYFS in a special school, we used P levels as mentioned above to set targets. Activities were carefully laid out to fit the curriculum but in reception it was largely child led. For example for mark making skills we might have a chalking area outside, UV painting in the sensory room and shallow sand trays on the tables, children could access whichever they wanted but could also opt to sit out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->