• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

red mucus in poop, normal?

swampmaiden

Reaction score
Changing my ebf 3 month old today and saw a few small streaks of red mucus in with her poop. Haven't seen it again since this morning, and not sure if I should be worried or not. What would cause that in an ebf baby?

I would call the Dr for advice incase they want to check her over. It's not something I've encountered before.

I would say no it isn't normal and you should see a Dr about it. Apparently red/bloody mucus can be a sign of an allergy or infection and the gastrointestinal irritation that results. The Dr will be able to help diagnose the reason behind it if it does happen to be something more than just a one time issue.

Thanks, I'm just worried if I call the pedi, they'll want us to come in rather than just give advice. The baby seems perfectly fine, no crying or pain.
I'm wondering if it could even have just been from food I ate, like beets.
I just don't see how she could be allergic or irritated from breast milk.
I wish there was more info on the internet besides worst case scenarios...

I don't think it hurts to call the doctor, but it can definitely be something that you ate. My daughter has the suction of a Dyson vacuum, and my nipples were bleeding the other day (she ingested some of the blood). That night her diaper had a tinge of blood. We had a doctor's appt the next day, who verified that it was very common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->