Reduced bowel movement when switching from breast to formula-any advice?

Becki77

Mummy of 2 little men!
Reaction score
Hello ladies, I need advice!
I have a 7 day old lil man and breast fed him for 5 days until i had to change to formula because i wasnt producing enough milk. I switched to sma gold 2 days ago since then hes not passed any stools.
I know that switching from breast to formula can cause constipation however hes not showing any signs of constipation atall.

Is this normal or not? Any advice would be appreciated, :hug:
becki xx

It is normal for breastfed babies to poo more often than bottle fed babies so his digestive system is probably getting used to the change, if he still hasnt passed anything after another day I would consult your GP or HV to check as he may need a more gentle milk. Aptimil is closer to breastmilk than sma gold so you may find this works better.

Mia was struggling with constipation on SMA Gold too... we moved to Aptamil Comfort. ALso the HV advised that one of the bottles each day to have an extra ounce of water. So 5oz water/4oz formula.... just once a day. Seemed to do the trick ! :D

Formula feed babies can go up to three days without a bowel movement, anything longer than that and you should contact your doctor. For Hannah she has one every day and a half to two days.

Thanks girls, i spoke to my mw who said if babies appear constipated to top up his feeds with additional bottles of cooled boiled water. If this didnt work then try prune juice 1/4 prune juice to 3/4 water).
He seems to be going well now but is stools are still alittle hard, but anyway we are on the right track!
Thanks for the advice xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->