Reflux! Help needed :(

Lil C

Mummy!
Reaction score
DD is exclusively bf. How on earth do I get her to take gaviscon?! I'm having to syringe feed it to her but it takes 3 syringes to do it and takes a good 20mins of her screaming and choking on the damn stuff! She's only 4 weeks so isn't good at taking a bottle. Is there not a liquid form of gaviscon which would be easier? Doc gave me powder and she didnt seem to know about liquid. She's had gripe water and infacol too and I think gripe water is working best for us. Any tips or advice would be appreciated! Going to clinic this afternoon x

Can you ask your doctor to prescribe zantac instead of gaviscon? Babies only need the tiniest amount of zantac.

Yeah, ask for ranitidine, Gaviscon is completely pointless with bf babies.

Does she need anything at all? I believe its quite normal for babies to have a bit of reflux at the start?

Have you tried the usual, keeping her upright for 30 mins after every feed, baby wearing, raising the head of her bed? And controversially, I have slept both of my children on their sides to help with reflux.

Also consider your own diet. Both of my children had terrible reflux if I had orange juice (or any juice), eggs or milk (not all dairy, just milk), too much fizzy esp cola.

You probably went through all this with your dr, but worth a try if you haven't.

I begged and begged the dr not to give my daughter gaviscon as I was ebf, I begged for ranitidine (Zantac) instead which I got and it was fine to get into her, she only needed 0.25mls when she was tiny.

Thanks everyone! Couldn't get a doc appointment until next Friday but have managed to get her to take a bottle with ebm and gaviscon. She seems to be a bit better but not sure if it's due to the gaviscon or a mix of trying everything!! Will def ask for zantac if she's still not better by Friday. Xx

I just made the gaviscon up with a tiny bit of breast milk, and used the syringe, so prob around 10ml. But even that is a lot of hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->