Reflux....

Angelihelen

Reaction score
Hey all, My girl is a 25 weeker, now nearly 19 weeks actual, but nearly 4 weeks corrected and when she first came home we thought wow aren't we lucky, she's so good, handles her reflux well, doesn't cry much....NOW all of a sudden she's projectiling on me every day whole feeds, is crying A LOT and is very fussy and grizzly between 7pm and 11 when before she used to be fine to send herself to sleep from 7. It's like having a completely different baby. I know she's not ill, but anyone got any advice for us? I feel like oh no THIS is how it's going to be from now on...

On that note, anyone had any success with cranio whatsit for reflux?

xx

Reflux is a nightmare, and so common in preemies. But it's something you shouldn't need to just 'put up with' either.

First step, is to see the GP and try an anti reflux formula, feed thickener or Gaviscon. This is to help stop the feed coming back up.
If this has no improvement in a few days/a week, go back to the GP and see what they recommend.

Often if the above isn't working, it means that acid is obviously bothering her. Like heartburn would for us, its just the same. There are meds to try first, to neutralise the acid.

Reflux can be soul destroying for mummy too, it's all about finding the right combination for baby!

We went through a few meds, and found SMA Staydown formula with a few meds did the trick. Staydown can be given out on prescription too ;)

:hugs:

My lo doesnt suffer from reflux but it is so common in preemie babies and there is quite a few on here who's lo have it.

I hope you get some medication sorted and you get your contented baby back.

Should have said before, but thank you ladies, she's already on meds for it, Domperidone and Ranitidin(or Zantac as it's also called) but just seems to be getting worse. Health visitor as usual had no idea, bless her, and said go and se the GP who I have no faith in whatsoever and seems to not know a THING about premmies. Ah well. Just hoping for someone to say "Oh yes mine grew out of it when I stood her in a corner with a red bucket on her head" kind of miracle tip I guess! Thank you though. xx

Did domperidone and ranitidine work before? Both meds need to increase in dosage as LO gets bigger. Also you will have been given the smallest dosage for your LO's weight so there will be room to increase it if need be, if that makes sense?

We did ok with domperidone and ranitidine, until somehow, she got sick on domperidone (I know, you're thinking HOW!?! The hospital didnt believe me until we prooved it and then they soon shut up!:rofl:)

We then moved onto a med called Losec (Omeprazole) and were able to dump the other meds. in a week. This was in tablet form, we popped it in a lil water, and left it to dissolve, and then syringed it/popped it into baby rice.

In our case, it was the magic cure teamed with SMA Staydown, and still is (we tried to come off it but had a disaster in Ikea one day!!!)

my Michael is also on zantac and dom peridone, did this med make your Lo have runny stool, im just cureious if thats a side effect, sorry for going off topic

Agiboma it didnt in our case but that's because we used thick formula too so we had some erm, play dough style nappies ;)

Yeah we sometimes have the playdo! And sometimes the runny....what a lovely lottery of poo!

Been to docs today and wow he was actually helpful. Have doubled the doses cos she's pretty much doubled her body weight, so fingers crossed this helps.

Thank you xx

Thats ok, we're always here :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"