Refusing flavours

maxpaddy2607

Reaction score
Hi

My baby is 6 1/2 months old and we started weaning her on baby rice to start which she took too very easily, we started mixing pureed apple in which again she loved but as soon as we have tried to introduce other flavours like carrot, butternut squash, pear etc she just pulls a face and spits it out (sometimes gags). I have percervered offering it to her a few times in the hope that she will get use to flavours but she just doesnt like it.

How were your babies when introducing flavours, i know everything is new to her and it will take time but she has refused flavours apart from apple for 2 weeks now. Just wanting some advice really, if there is any other things to try or tips ???

Thank you

Have you tried giving her some lightly cooked fruit and vef to eat with her hands? She is old enough to try that - she may start to put bits in her mouth of her own accord and that could help her get used to new flavours.

Or if you want to stick with the spoon feeding, how about adding a small amount of carrot for example to the apple, and then increase the carrot amount each time?

I cant be much more help as Izzy is a guts and eats everything, even my awful cooking

Will try adding the carrot to the apple at least there is one flavour she likes to complement another, will try that tomorrow.

Im not dead set on just spoon feeding I am open to try the finger foods to let her discover herself, everything thats in her hand goes into her mouth so she might take it better that way.

I gave her the spoon after a while to play with with some puree on it after and she does put that in her mouth but she pulls a face when she tastes the food (not surprised thou wi the taste of some of them jars, they are disgusting at least its not just my cooking she turns her nose up at) he he

We were told it takes ten tastes for them to accept new flavours, so keep at it.

I have a brilliant video of the first time Abby had something other than baby rice. Her face was a picture!

She was pretty good at accepting new tastes eventually. However, I am just about to put up a thread about her not taking vegetables now!

I was told that babies almost always pull faces with new flavours - the trick is for you to put on a really happy yummy face as they also take a lot of cues from you when they try food.

I also read that you have to give babies up to 20 attempts of a new tate for them to accept it, it's not that they don't like the taste of some foods its just that it is new, especially bitter or sour tastes as they've only had sweet BM or formula before - like drinking fresh orange juice just after eating chcolate cake - gross at first but gets better the more you drink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->