Refusing the breast

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My baby (12+ weeks) was starting to get upset and was sucking on her hands (my mom had given her a bath so I could go have lunch). I put her in my lap to try and nurse her and she started crying and just would not nurse. I tried holding her in different positions or walking around with her and she still wouldn't nurse.

She fell asleep crying then woke up screaming. I'm worried something hurts. She was calm for 15-20 mins (we were on our way home). Tried to get her to nurse when we got home. She cried a bit but then took the breast and nursed for a few mins and fell asleep.

What is that? We went thru something similar on Saturday were she cried so much and wouldn't nurse for a few hours. It's so odd as she used to never go that long between feeds except at night. It also feels like no matter what, the act of offering her the breast is what makes her upset! Is it weird that I came to this conclusion? Is this wonder week 12? If so, it's completely different than wonder week 8 where she just nursed nursed nursed from morning till night!!

Can someone shed some light on things? Thanks.

Is she gassy or bored? Sometime my LO will wriggle and act hungry wanting the breast but then keep spitting it out and fussing as soon as she gets it. Usually it's either gas, or she is sick of looking at my armpit (she will finally take it if I show her things to look at for a few minutes until she cries because she is hungry and then try again). And sometimes if it is getting close to bedtime she is just plain tired and overstimulated so I will turn the lights off and keep the noise down and she will settle and eat.

Are you not letting down as fast as she would like? Also if you're tense it will prevent let down even longer and make her tense as well. Try several deep breaths. Also sing a lullaby or a specific song only when you breastfeed. That can help trigger your body to let down as well. Patience patience. I went through this too many times. So hard to not get frustrated! Another suggestion if you're not opposed is to have a little wine or beer right before you nurse to relax you a bit.
Or maybe you let down too forcefully?

I've found my lo does this when his teeth hurt, he started teething a few weeks ago so 11/12 weeks (I know early I was shocked when he bit my finger and I felt tooth!). I've found bonjela and lifting my breast slightly helps as I think the weight of it in his mouth bothers him more.
Is your lo showing any signs of teething? Dribbling a lot, pooing more, nappy rash? Or the real telltale have a look at los gums?

Becki x

I think it might be a growth spurt. She gets extremely fussy but hasn't refused feeding at all today.

I did wonder if she is teething but my mom told me in her experience it is too early. But it does vary with each child doesn't it?

She has been pooing more than usual, and drooling a lot. Haven't seen a tooth though.

Whatever it is I'm just glad she isn't refusing to feed anymore.

Could be either, my lo gets fussy when he's having a growth spurt too. I know of babies born with teeth, or babies with 4 by the time they're 4 months! Yea it's not average for babies to teeth this young but is normal too. Also remember some babies teeth for months and months before any appear. My little man's got one tooth that's broken the gum and you can feel but not see it but its been like that for a good week or 2! Has broken through but doesn't seem to be doing anything else! Lol! I'd say if lo's tops are getting wet and you feel like you're constantly wiping up drool then could be teething.

Becki x

Mine was very fussy at that age and it was just distractibility. He was frustrated that he couldn't focus on feeding despite being hungry. Try a quieter, darker room.

Could also be an ear infection, or teething, or Just Babies Being Babies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->