Refusing to go to bed!

wishing4ababy

mummy of 3 gorgeous LO's!
Reaction score
Hi girls. I don;t normally post in here - i am a ttc'er but i am out of my mind and just wanted to see if anyone else had beent through anything similar! PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS AN ANSWER TO THIS!!
My son is 2. He is potty trained and dry through the night and up until about 6 weeks ago (this co-incides with the going dry through the night) I would take him up to bed at 7pm awake and he would send himself off to sleep. Because he started waking up in the middle of the night for the toilet we put him in a bed - and since then he just refuses to go to bed at night. Sometimes it is 10pm before we can get him into bed. He has the biggest tantrum I have ever seen - screaming and lashing out. It is quite scarey and so frustrating. I would keep going up and putting him back in bed but i also have a daughter who goes up at 7pm and i am always aware that he will wake her up! Am at the end of my tether - please help!!!
:hugs:

I've only had a crash corse in parenting for about 11mths now. But I've got a four year old who's... how do I say it? Difficult. I find that making bedtime a positive thing helps. I read a book or three, depending on how well they do getting ready for bed on time. Or sometimes we just talk and cuddle. Hugs kisses and goodnight. I keep the routine the same everyday, this helps me too.
At first, he'd cry and carry on. One time Chris carried on for a whole hour screaming and throwing things, "I'm not tired!!!" It wasn't until I stopped caving that he's started to go off too sleep w/o complaint. I give them all one pass to the potty or for a drink each night, then they're not allowed up again. These days, he'll actually tell me he would like a nap, or that he's ready for bed.
What I'm trying to say is keep your routine the same, make it positve, set the ground rules and then stick to your guns. Even if that means he wakes up the nieghbors. Crying isn't going to hurt him or break his spirit. :hugs: Sweetie, and good luck.
P

I've only had a crash corse in parenting for about 11mths now. But I've got a four year old who's... how do I say it? Difficult. I find that making bedtime a positive thing helps. I read a book or three, depending on how well they do getting ready for bed on time. Or sometimes we just talk and cuddle. Hugs kisses and goodnight. I keep the routine the same everyday, this helps me too.
At first, he'd cry and carry on. One time Chris carried on for a whole hour screaming and throwing things, "I'm not tired!!!" It wasn't until I stopped caving that he's started to go off too sleep w/o complaint. I give them all one pass to the potty or for a drink each night, then they're not allowed up again. These days, he'll actually tell me he would like a nap, or that he's ready for bed.
What I'm trying to say is keep your routine the same, make it positve, set the ground rules and then stick to your guns. Even if that means he wakes up the nieghbors. Crying isn't going to hurt him or break his spirit. :hugs: Sweetie, and good luck.
P

thanks hun. We always had the same routine before - but since the bed thing and the potty training has come about it has totally thrown him. THink i will try just taking him up to bed tonight and reading to him though. Last night i did it at about 8pm and he did go to sleep but only while i was lay on the bed with him. I feel like I have gone back 2 years with him.
Thanks for your help hun - hope you are ok.
xx:hugs:

My daughter was the same when I put her in a bed she went from having no problems at bedtime to crying and not wanting to go to bed, it was just a phase and didnt last long, did you say its gone on for 6 weeks ? I'd persevere and maybe leave him to cry it out, Im not sure if controlled crying is as effective at this age ? but may be worth a try xxxxxx

My daughter was the same when I put her in a bed she went from having no problems at bedtime to crying and not wanting to go to bed, it was just a phase and didnt last long, did you say its gone on for 6 weeks ? I'd persevere and maybe leave him to cry it out, Im not sure if controlled crying is as effective at this age ? but may be worth a try xxxxxx

hya. Yeah 6 LONG weeks! Problem is we are caving in because our 1 year old daughter is fast asleep and we don't want him waking her up! nightmare!!! I'll have to do something though - i have put his afternoon sleep down to 1/2 an hour in the hope that he will be so tired he will just go to sleep! am going to really try and do something this weekend!
:hugs:

Im no expert on that (will be asking the same questions in a few months im sure though lol) but I saw the same situation on Super Nanny one time. She suggested taking them to the loo without saying a word, then taking them straight back to bed. Not sure how effective it is, but I know for example if I sit there trying to insist that Bethanie eats her dinner, she will not, she likes the reaction - if I ignore her, she gets frustrated but starts eating 2 seconds later! good luck, little poo's eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->