Relationships and religion!!

I think you should convert to a religion if you have faith in that religion and for no other reason. If you don't believe, then why else would you follow a religion?

I agree with this!!

It can get very complicated when religion is also a major cultural influence. I know a few couples who were very much in love but whose relationships did not survive the outside pressures of familial and cultural expectations. I honestly think it was less about the actual religion and far more about customs and traditions in those cases.

No . I don't think so at all. I am more for either mixing the cultures or to keep each others.
I am German he is South african, but we are both atheists(common here), but we do have some different culture at times, but mostly we just mix it.

I'm a Christian and I knew right from when I was little that I would only ever have a relationship with/marry another Christian. The Bible teaches that God is the most important person for a Christian so making sure your partner also puts God first avoids a whole lot of potential problems. However, I don't think you should change your beliefs just for a partner, because then they're not really "beliefs" at all.

I completely agree with this, only from a different perspective. I am 110% atheist and I couldn't imagine ever being with someone who followed a religion, not only because I don't agree with it, but because I personally consider the whole concept to be completely illogical and don't think I could be with someone who believed. Having said that though, I have some very good friends who are devout (sp?) christians and are some of the best people i know, I just couldn't be in a romantic relationship with a religious person. :flower:

Religious wise it would probably the same thing for me too.

My dad is from a hindu background and my mum is from a catholic background. My parents decided to keep us open minded about religion rather making us follow one or the other. Which, imo has worked out well, but both my parents have said that they're marriage was a bout compromise and it would have been difficult if one had to convert.

OH is muslim, i'm atheist. When I met him he was drinking every day, taking drugs, partying 24/7, sleeping around.. general party boy lifestyle - he had a wife (arranged marriage) and 3 kids at home. He'll expect certain things from people (not me) and when I pull him on how hypocritical he sounds, he says "that's just the way it is" :shrug: He has one friend, who never had a problem partying with us, that now says I should convert and if I don't OH should leave me. He bangs on about muslim this, islam that.. but sleeps with a different girl every weekend behind his wifes back, deals drugs, takes drugs and drinks. His friend actually fell out with me for a LONG time because I didn't shave my daughters head :dohh:

I am very strongly athiest and I could never be in a relationship with someone religious. The way my brain works and the way I think would make me completely intollerant. I have tried many times to understand and appreciate but I can't. I don't judge those that are religious at all... but my complete rejection of any religious notion means I simply could not possibly be compatible with anyone who was religious on a romantic level. I would never expect to change someone to suit me though. But religion would be a very early discussion point and would be a deal breaker for me right then and there

I'm a Christian and I knew right from when I was little that I would only ever have a relationship with/marry another Christian. The Bible teaches that God is the most important person for a Christian so making sure your partner also puts God first avoids a whole lot of potential problems. However, I don't think you should change your beliefs just for a partner, because then they're not really "beliefs" at all.

I completely agree with this, only from a different perspective. I am 110% atheist and I couldn't imagine ever being with someone who followed a religion, not only because I don't agree with it, but because I personally consider the whole concept to be completely illogical and don't think I could be with someone who believed. Having said that though, I have some very good friends who are devout (sp?) christians and are some of the best people i know, I just couldn't be in a romantic relationship with a religious person. :flower:

Lol basically this but worded differently!

I am a practising roman catholic. I take my son to church every sunday and he was christened roman catholic too. My partner Kyle is a baptist but doesn't go to church. I wanted my son brought up in God's faith ther for he came with me. My partner didn't mind as if mathew wants to convert when he is older then thats fine.

I am lucky that RC's and Bapstis are both Christians there for we basically believe in the same god but the teachings are different. My partner doesn't like the way my church carries our our sunday service as he feels it is very strict and you can not express yourself where as i wasnt comfortable in the baptist church as i felt it was disorganised. Each to their own i suppose.

But i haven't nor will i ever change my religion :flower:

Me and OH are both Catholic and have been attending church recently due to getting our son baptised. After the baptism I will not be going back to church as I am not a practising catholic (was not confirmed) but I am doing it mainly for school issues as my elder son attends a catholic school and they are not accepted unless baptised. My OH wants to carry on attending church after the baptism, how long this lasts I don't know!
I would not convert to any other religion or to anybody elses beliefs, I am a very strong willed person and could not be a follower, I feel it would strip me of my identity!!

OH is muslim, i'm atheist. When I met him he was drinking every day, taking drugs, partying 24/7, sleeping around.. general party boy lifestyle - he had a wife (arranged marriage) and 3 kids at home. He'll expect certain things from people (not me) and when I pull him on how hypocritical he sounds, he says "that's just the way it is" :shrug: He has one friend, who never had a problem partying with us, that now says I should convert and if I don't OH should leave me. He bangs on about muslim this, islam that.. but sleeps with a different girl every weekend behind his wifes back, deals drugs, takes drugs and drinks. His friend actually fell out with me for a LONG time because I didn't shave my daughters head :dohh:

I'm speechless, there are a lot of hypocrites in this world.

Me and OH are both Catholic and have been attending church recently due to getting our son baptised. After the baptism I will not be going back to church as I am not a practising catholic (was not confirmed) but I am doing it mainly for school issues as my elder son attends a catholic school and they are not accepted unless baptised. My OH wants to carry on attending church after the baptism, how long this lasts I don't know!
I would not convert to any other religion or to anybody elses beliefs, I am a very strong willed person and could not be a follower, I feel it would strip me of my identity!!

Why get your child christened just for a school? no offence but that frustrates me!

me personally i dont think you should convert to a different religion for anyone but yourself now with that said my dh is a muslim and when we first met i didnt have a religion that i followed at all and he never forced any of his views on me never!! then i got to a point in my life where i wanted to find a belief for me so i told him i wanted a break with my oh (now dh) whilst doing my search! i came to islam myself and became a muslim myself and i am a practising muslim for myself, my oh wanted to stop our break and we ended up getting married and after the marriage we decided to start a family and have a lovely little toddler now :D
but he did tell me that even if i wasnt a muslim id still be his wife and all his family knew that he wanted to marry me cos i was never his dirty little secret!! and theyve not forced anything on me cos i wont let them so i dont follow his culture at all, i follow my own as my family show our culture in our every day life ! and again i dont think you should change for your oh cos thats how you met and if they dont like it they can lump it imo :D

sorry for the rambel :thumbup:

Why get your child christened just for a school? no offence but that frustrates me!

Because the best primary and high school in the area are Catholic, if getting my child into the best school in the area means getting him baptised I will do it. No offence but I don't really care what you think about my childrens schooling arrangements!!

Because the best primary and high school in the area are Catholic, if getting my child into the best school in the area means getting him baptised I will do it. No offence but I don't really care what you think about my childrens schooling arrangements!!

Its a shame really that you have to do that... I cant understand why that has to be the case in places. I seriously can't understand why catholic schools are seen to be better? (genuine wonder)
Where i live, your child doesn't have to be christened to be allowed into a catholic school... and i should have phrased my 1st response better but what frustrates me is simply what if a truley practising catholic family can not get their kids into school because people feel the need to get their child christened ect just so they get a better education...

Sadly i guess thats where our government fails us!

Its a shame really that you have to do that... I cant understand why that has to be the case in places. I seriously can't understand why catholic schools are seen to be better? (genuine wonder)
Where i live, your child doesn't have to be christened to be allowed into a catholic school... and i should have phrased my 1st response better but what frustrates me is simply what if a truley practising catholic family can not get their kids into school because people feel the need to get their child christened ect just so they get a better education...

What do you want me to do apologise to you for trying to get my children a good education? Put them into the local school which has just been put into special measures by OFSTED?

What do you want me to do apologise to you for trying to get my children a good education? Put them into the local school which has just been put into special measures by OFSTED?

If you are after an arguement then you wont find one with me

I was basically saying in my previous post that i think it's ridiculous that ANYONE should feel like they have to put their child in a catholic school just because they feel they would get a better education!
All achools should haave the same education process and give all children equal opportunities.
I even apologized for my wording in my first post to you.

Why dont you take a second again to read what i write correctly instead of with the angry you are projecting onto my words.

Sorry to everyone else for having to read this even though its nothing really to do with OP

If you are after an arguement then you wont find one with me

I was basically saying in my previous post that i think it's ridiculous that ANYONE should feel like they have to put their child in a catholic school just because they feel they would get a better education!
All achools should haave the same education process and give all children equal opportunities.
I even apologized for my wording in my first post to you.

Why dont you take a second again to read what i write correctly instead of with the angry you are projecting onto my words.

Sorry to everyone else for having to read this even though its nothing really to do with OP

I understand what your trying to say and I agree. I saw a programme before on the lengths people go to. Its not about what you know but who you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->