Relatives RSVPing no for baby shower... Rant

pradabooties

Reaction score
Sorry ladies, I feel like all I've done on here during the third trimester is whinge! But I am really upset and need to vent this.

My baby shower is in a week and I've already been a bit stressed about it because I'll be 35 weeks so I'm quite big and tired by now! And now I've just been told that my fiancé's sister and my cousin aren't coming... I'm just so shocked because we don't have much family and we are really close with them, I never had a doubt in my mind they'd be coming. To make matters worse the cause is that my friend organising the shower sent the invitations very late... Like people only received them a few days ago. So my OH's sister and my cousin have commitments they can't get out of and I half feel like surely this is more important but also half like it is actually my friends fault. So I'm shocked, disappointed and pretty annoyed at both my relatives and my friend.

I know it's only a baby shower and not like they're skipping my wedding but I guess I was just so looking forward to it and I haven't seen everyone for so long I'm just really disappointed. How would you ladies react / feel about relatives not coming to your shower?

I completely understand! with my first baby, I got a lot of "I can't because of work" even though I sent out invites 2 months prior. I ended up canceling it.

Then, this time. Same deal. I threw the baby sprinkle anyway, my sister didnt show, my mom is ill and could not come. The day ended up being the worst, between my friends with babies, my baby, and my husband throwing a literal tantrum... it was the worst.

I am no help, but I can completely understand.

I can understand that you are disappointed when you were expecting a great baby shower.
Would it help to perhaps just see it as a day for yourself to feel happiness about your soon to arrive new baby rather than a time to catch up with relatives so you're not adding unnecessary pressure to yourself. It's a shame your relatives can't be there but just try to relax and enjoy the day.

I have to admit I never expected one (they're not so big in UK and nz) but my friend threw me one. I had it at 39w5days so my mum could be there and it still went well.

I totally get how hurtful it can be when family you expect to come to something and don't. It wasn't my baby shower, but at my wedding not one single person on my dad's side came. Enjoy your day no matter though, have fun and relax!

I suppose youre super excited because its your baby but looking objectively I wouldnt change a day at work for a baby shower but then I personally dont believe in them. I prefer to celebrate when baby is here and ok and I wouldnt expect people to bring gifts twice (at a shower and when baby is born which seems to be what a shower is about). Not sure where you are but in the UK theyve only taken off very recently. As the other girls have said id try and enjoy your day but I personally wouldnt be stressed about people not being able to make it x

Thanks everyone, I'm in Australia and baby showers are the norm - or at least with everyone I know. We don't really do a party after the baby is born so this is the big celebration. But you're all very right and I am letting go of the non attending relatives and just going to enjoy it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->