religious fasting and TTC - help!

bree341

Reaction score
I have a bmi of 16.0. No matter what I can't seem to gain weight. Eastern Orthodox fasts twice a week. Is this hurting me TTC? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Plz help!

I am a non-practicing eastern orthodox.. I would say that fasting for extended periods of time would impact your ability to conceive. I know that the church only provides exception to those under 15, those over 70, pregnant, nursing, ill, or those that do heavy labour.. You have a quite low BMI.. do you not become lethargic and weak during fasting? If you do, then there is a good reason for you to be considered an exception.. You could simply have slightly smaller meals but make sure you get all the nutrients and oils you need.. or you could simply stop fasting until later in life.. While fasting can be really beneficial in the treatment of a number of health issues, it does not have a beneficial impact on female fertility. There was a study on the impact of fasting on fertility btw, and it found out that while in men sperm count increased, the impact on females was adverse.
There seems to be quite contradictory evidence out there, some of it against fasting for women as it impacts women's methabolism and fertility negatively, some of it actually propagating fasting before pregnancy... See these ones for example:
https://www.fastingconnection.com/f...ctor/11870-2-fasts-per-week-affects-fertility
https://www.paleoforwomen.com/shatt...cific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/
The second one cites a study of rats where which that found that "male reproductivity up-regulated in response to the metabolic stress, and that the female reproductivity down-regulated". Any type of fasting in rats actually caused a decrease in the size of ovaries, although it did not cause shrinking in the male testes (so while fasting is great for your partner, it is actually bad for you).. Also, the mild energy-restriction diets significantly increased the proportion of animals displaying irregular cycling patterns, whereas the stricted fasting animals displayed an almost complete loss of estrous cyclicity, i.e. stopped ovulating...
On the other hand, the first link actually advises fasting before pregnancy on the basis of the fact that "during a fast your fats gets broken down and it releases old built-up toxins"...
Whatever you decide, I am sure you will be right.. The impact on each individual can be so different! However, I think if you are trying to conceive, you should make every effort to get all the nutrients you need, and not subject your body to unnecessary stress. Fasting can act as a huge stressor on the body. Once you have stop having kids, then you could always resume fasting
Do you track your ovulation? It could help you see whether fasting causes any irregularity in your cycles x

In Judaism fasting is excused in similar situations - young, ill, pregnant etc. but there is also an exception for overall health. If it will have a negative impact on your health you are not expected to fast. (As I am also very small and have had to ask the Rabbi about this.) Can you talk to anyone who may know if Eastern Orthodox has a similar exemption? I think, in most religions, health and new life come before fasting. It's about remembering what the fast is for that really matters, right?

Thanks to both of you! I think I will speak to my head of Church. I try to track cycles but they change by a few days. On an entirely different note.... someone just knocked on my door and I think Dh sister is about get served lol

I agree! Talk to your head of church! But really, I do think you would fit into the exception! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->