Rent increase

claire1978

Mum of 4
Reaction score
I have just got a letter from my housing association that our rent is going up by nearly £60 a month, last year it went up by £26, my best friend is with the same housing association and only lives round the corner and hers has gone up by nearly £30 a month so I have looked into it today and I am appealing it, I think nearly £60 extra a month is a silly amount, they have added a service charge which we have never had before (my friend hasnt got this on hers) which I think is for ground maitenance ie gardening but when they do visit the lads just sit in their van and they dont look after the grounds well and the housing never come round and inspect it.

Has anyone else ever appealed a rent increase and was u successful? I thought it is worth a try

omg thats a huge jump...hope u get it lowered xx

I hope it works hun.. Most Housing associations are run by the council, and normally what the council says goes. My rent has gone up by 20 a month, but there is nothing we can do about it!!

Hi, I work for my local Council's homeless team. Housing Associations are not run by Council's actually.
It should state in your tenancy agreement the maximum amount they can increase your rent by on an annual basis (and it's worked out as a percentage of your rent, not a standard amount for all properties, so could be different to your friends). They should also give you at least 2 month's notice of the rental increase.

If you cannot afford to pay your rent now, claim housing benefit immediately (if you're not already doing so). If you do get it, take the letter down, and it shouldnt take them longer than 2 weeks to increase your entitlement.

If you find out how much it says on your tenancy agreement and you think the increased amount is too high, pm me and I'll email you a standard letter we use to appeal these cases.

A few of the housing associations local to me are run by the local council. My Mum lives in a house owned by one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->