Renters - a question!

jenny82

Reaction score
At the end of your tenancy, what shape do you leave the house in? WHat have you not done that is not your job (in your mind)?

So for example, when we moved out of our house, I hired a cleaner, got carpets cleaned, powerhosed the yard. I did mow the lawn but that was 3 weeks ago now and we moved out 2 weeks ago.

I mentioned this on another thread somewhere but I think my landlady is being a bit unfair. She showed up unannounced at the property before our lease was up (its not up until next weekend), gave off to the cleaners and cried at the carpet guy.

She is going on about a light switch issue in the kitchen. That I should get it fixed. Well a few weeks ago the lights were flickering so I hired an electrician and he told me it was a faulty switch, so he moved the kitchen lights to the one part of the switch that was left working. I have explained this to her but I think she wants us to replace the switch?

She has also demanded that we cut the hedge. Tbh it never occurred to me to cut the hedge(there isn't that much of it) as its not a messy hedge and also me, 2 small children here all the time on our own - no way am I taking out hedge cutters. I did cut the grass regularly (but she is still wanting it freshly cut even though I cut it on the 18th August). I weeded, powerhosed the back etc. IMO it was ok. The lease says to keep the garden in a neat & tidy condition.

Oven has been cleaned out, shelves are immaculate. She wants the extractor fan cleaned. I can do this no problem - or rather, my mum will have to as we have already moved across the country. However my brother has never washed extractor fans on leaving property and I don't think I ever have when I rented.

I hired & paid for cleaners and the carpets to be cleaned. That would be my end done imo, but she is a bit of a crazer. I think she wants us to leave the house in a condition such that she can rent it out straightaway without touching it herself. I rent out my own house out and I do expect that there are certain bits that need to be done at the end of a tenancy by the landlord and she is just chancing her arm.

The estate agent has mentioned something about an email from the landlady and her wanting the house returned *exactly* as it was left. Surely, within reason, a house will never be left back exactly as it was left 12 months on? And I took good care of that bloody house. She is tarnishing my memory of it :/

Any opinions are welcome :)

It sounds like she's taking the piss.

Our last House I just gave a good scrub! We touched up some of the paint on the walls in my son's room where his wall stickers peeled of some paint. That's all!

She's chancing her luck!!

She's taking the pee! We were living in a rented place before and when we left I did the same- hired a cleaner for the bits I couldn't do, had the carpets cleaned- it was in a nicer state than when we moved in. The landlady wanted £130 of our deposit as she said she had to hire a cleaner to dust cobwebs from over the front door :dohh:

Did you have a check in report done? The property should be left in the same condition it was when you moved in eg, if it was professionally cleaned when you moved in, it should be when you check out.

It sounds as though she is nitpicking - she should have been the one paying for the electrician as well.

Does she have photos of how it was left for you? I would ask her for before and after shots so she can prove (or not!) what she is complaining about. If she has no proof then she has no complaint imo x

Def sounds like she's taking the piss. As someone else said you should leave it as you got it, however there will be slight wear and tear after a year. Also she should be paying for the light switch. Anything like that I ring my landlord.

It wasn't professionally cleaned when we moved in as we were the first people renting it. She moved abroad and she had never rented it out before. She loves her house - I understand, I loved it too! I just think she expects it exactly as it was when she moved out.

There were a few things noted on the inventory but they are all as they were. There are a few marks on the kitchen wooden floor that I am a bit worried about but nothing I can do about that. Everything is as it was.

She also said that the boiler wasn't working from that unannounced visit that she should not have made. The boiler was fine when we left so I think the gas money has ran out on the meter. Not a big deal at all as I can get OH to chuck a fiver on when he goes home in a few days. It is just another addition to her list of madness :/

She realises the boiler is her issue right?

She's taking the piss.

I think she needs a lesson in landlord responsibilities. Phone the agent and ask them to deal with her. The kitchen floor would probably be considered wear & tear unless they're deep gauges.

Sounds to me she is bitter that u was leaving.

If we move out then we have to put it back to how it was so holes in the wall from shelves have to be filled, walls need to be white etc. Anything like light switches or things that have stopped working is down to them to repair. Sounds like she is taking the piss :( when we moved into this flat my oh went round with the landlord and wrote down what was already there (a few holes in the wall from shelves which the previous tenants didn't fill) and we got a copy as do they. Did you do anything like that when you moved in or have an inventory?

No we did nothing! There were some pictures hooks, shelves etc already up so we didn't touch the walls. I was also super paranoid about wallpaper and kids so I made extra sure they were untouched.

You could be right about her being bitter/annoyed about us moving. We had paid our entire year's rent upfront and rarely contacted her, so she could be annoyed that she is going to have to put some work in now, and the next tenants may not be as good :/

They are not deep gouges on the kitchen floor but they are marks. Like eg, the kitchen chairs had those pads on the bottom to stop it scraping/making noise. Some of the pads fell off and it took me about a month or so to replace them, so there are some scratches from the chair being moved in and out. Not terribly awful looking but I do see them. And a wooden floor with kids & a dog - eugh :/

She sounds a bit crazy :wacko:

We were in our last house for 2yrs. When we left my SIL cleaned from top to bottom, I repainted the kitchen as the cat had scratched at the walls and OH cleaned the carpets with a carpet shampooer we rented. We paid for a professional oven cleaner to do the oven, hobs and extractor fan.

The letting agents inspected the property after we had fully moved out and cleaned and said they still felt there were 2 or 3 areas that weren't up to scratch- the downstairs carpets still smelt "doggy", the bathroom tiles needed some attention and the back garden needed weeding. They asked if we'd like to address those ourselves or they could get a quote and we could have it taken off our deposit. We were a bit pissed off because the garden had been a STATE when we moved in and looked a million times better when we left it than it had, but the doggy smell/not gleaming tiles seemed plausible enough and the quote they gave us was something like £80, which out of a £560 deposit didn't seem too bad so we just agreed :shrug:

It was the first time we've ever had part of our deposit taken back, in our 2 previous rental properties we just gave the place a thorough clean when we left, it got inspected and we got our full monies back.

It sounds to me like you've done all that can be reasonably expected, she has to allow for the "wear and tear" of the property being lived in for a year.

I honestly think you have gone above and beyond what you needed to and shes just shirking her own responsibilities!

xx

As long as your deposit is held with one of the regesireted holding providers, should you dispute any reductions it goes on hold and they decide if its a legit deduction. Dispute anything you feel in unfair.

Also, have you posted this is the renting forum on Moneysavingexpert? If not I highly recommend doing so. There are some very knowledgable posters in there who are experienced in this who can help you.

THanks ellismum but this is northern Ireland. No scheme exists there yet :/

My OH is driving and ferrying home this afternoon to get our last bits & pieces. I have made him out a list of stuff he has to do, and my mum is going over too as she is like Monica from Friends hehe - she will go over the place for me. Grrr the more I think of it, the more she is bugging me :/ If she didn't want to rent her precious hosue out, she shouldn't have..

My OH is driving and ferrying home this afternoon to get our last bits & pieces. I have made him out a list of stuff he has to do, and my mum is going over too as she is like Monica from Friends hehe - she will go over the place for me. Grrr the more I think of it, the more she is bugging me :/ If she didn't want to rent her precious hosue out, she shouldn't have..

oh, that's cr@p :( it's still worth asking thou on MSE. Good luck!

When I move out I make sure it was how it was when I moved in so floors vacuumed and mopped, cupboards cleaned, windows washed, bathroom cleaned, if there was any damage caused by me (one apartment my ex made a hole in the wall, we fixed it) then I'll sort that out but things like faulty switches should be the landlord/lady's responsibility.

Argh this woman! My OH is there atm, he checked the boiler. The 'issue' is this pressure problem that has always been with the boiler. The landlady herself told us this happens and how to fix it - you just have to turn a knob to balance the pressure in the system. So that time she turned up at our house when she wasn't allowed to, looked at the boiler which she wasn't allowed to, knew how to fix it and yet goes to the agent to complain about it.

I am angry and I think I am going to the agent tomorrow and complain that I think we are being unduly hounded by this whackjob :/

oh, that's cr@p :( it's still worth asking thou on MSE. Good luck!

I will thanks! I think I already have an account on their website for another bloomin house related issue (of the owning kind)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->